Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Monthly shaving clubs

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So was watching some videos and reading on monthly shaving clubs. The two big ones seem to be Dollar Shave Club and Harry's. It would be nice to have blades and accessories delivered each month so I wouldn't have to worry about running out. Plus they are way cheaper than the store bought razors (which are a total rip off). Anyone else used either of these or considered going to them?

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
I have a co worker that tried Dollar Shave Club. He didn't have much good to say about it. If I remember right, he said the products are cheaply made.He cancelled pretty early on.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I have a co worker that tried Dollar Shave Club. He didn't have much good to say about it. If I remember right, he said the products are cheaply made.He cancelled pretty early on.
Thanks for the input. :)

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya I got to do something here. First off I am sick of getting ripped off on blade prices. Also I always forget to pick them up. Getting them each month would be a life saver. I have been watching some Youtube videos lately and a lot of people are preferring the Henry's. They say the blades cut closer with the Henry's.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well I signed up for the Dollar Shaving club. Picked the middle razor and I will see how it goes. It gave me a referral link if anyone wants to try it out.

Dollar shave club

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
I hate shaving so let's get that out there first. It comes and goes. Sometimes I get decent shaves but every so often I get torn apart.

The more blades the better right?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Thought I would mention that I finally got to use my razor this morning. I also tried a free sample of their shaving butter. The shaving butter was so, so. I might try it one more time just to make sure. But the razor I went in with now much hope, but I have to say it really wasn't to bad. The weight of the blade handle is good and I didn't bleed or anything. In fact I had a nice soft face afterwards. So first impressions aren't to bad at this point. I will update this thread after I go though a few more but so far so good for the price.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Forgot to mention used this again and for the second time using the same blade. This time I did a test and put the rest of the shaving butter on one side of my face and regular shaving gel on the other half of my face. I strangely have to admit that the shaving butter did a better job and had a smoother shave. So I added a full tube this time with my order. I have been trying to cut back to shaving to just once a week to give my face a break but kinda feel bad using just one blade per week. I am sure you could easily get 3-4 shaves out of one blade no problem. Overall I am still happy, especially with the amount of savings.

C Pav

Members
I still use my titanium I think I recommended to you and you bought one time we went to walmart. I use the same blade for months.......and shave every other day. Sometimes I go 3 days on the weekends but anyway I usually get a great shave. About once every 3 months it's like I used a sand blaster and weed whacker but other than that no problems.

C Pav

Members
I am not surprised at this coming from you. You top my cheap ass scale, only to be followed by @jmanz .
Not surprised by your reply either. It's not about being cheap it's about why replace the blade if it's still doing it's job fine? See you go by what people tell you and that it needs to be replaced every day/week instead of seeing if that's really the case. Try it. Use the same blade for several months and tell me if it really does a worse job than the first week. Sure the first cut is always best but after that you can barely tell.....except you and your baby soft skin.

Ok several months is a bit of a stretch but still doesn't need to be replaced as often as you think.

Oh and speaking of cheap, you signed up for cheap blades because?

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I have used the same electric shaver since 2005 without changing anything. I only did the ceramic filing trick to spruce up the blades. No mess, no fuss.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Yeah, the neck area does get irritated some for me, probably by the duller blades. Should sharpen my blades again.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I'm still sticking to just using a trimmer once in a while, but if I do shave it's with a blade. I've tried a couple different electric options, but they've never done as good a job. They also take a lot longer to do a sort of half decent job than just using a traditional razor.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
If your a razor guy your lucubration can really make a difference also. Another thing that helps is a nice hot towel or hot water on the face before shaving. Opens up those pores and makes a big difference.