Oil bust inevitable

Good luck running from that. Don't expect to find utopia anywhere you may decide to go.
Oh yeah

Don't expect to find utopia anywhere you may decide to go.
You should travel to Montana more.civ99wM.jpg
ZGEsO7n.jpg

And yes I took those just a few days ago.

Sure you can find scenery anywhere. You won't escape local politics, greed, etc. Lower cost of living, great, but lower wages come with that too, so that's pretty much a wash.

The only way you'd really escape is to find a plot of land, away from any urbanization, and become entirely self sufficient. But then you trade the stress of a "normal" daily life for the stress of making sure you're prepared for the different seasons, having enough food and all that.

I'm just saying - no matter where someone goes or what they do, there will be stress, there will be things they do not like, and at first those things will be minor compared to whatever the person tried to escape. As those things continue day in and day out, they will grow to be just as big or more of a pain.

I will agree with you @ndboarder . Trouble and problems are everywhere you go. You are also correct about the wages, but the cost of living is lower. But I look at it this way I would rather have these problems while at least enjoying life. Plus it may have been awhile since you have been to this side of the state, but it ain't what it use to be.

The scenery outside doesn't matter much when you are in a WoW induced coma and afraid of the sun ;)

Good luck running from that. Don't expect to find utopia anywhere you may decide to go.
I should have expanded on my statement, my area has greatly accelerated the amount of greed and local politics to a new level. I can deal with crap, but not from an fat camp of morbidly obese food scarfers (figuratively speaking)

The enjoyment of "life" or where you live or whatever, should not in anyway depend on others, the politics, etc.

I've moved in an out of a few communities of various sizes. There's always desirable things about a new location, but some of those same things can eventually become a negative as well. Small communities can seem great - everyone knows everyone - as the new guy it seems great - eventually you find all the little High School like things (cliques, rumor mills, etc). Larger communities have more privacy, more to do - eventually a lot of that kind of disappears to - especially the "more to do" as it all becomes normal and dull. Communites in the middle take a bit of the best and worst of each.

I'm not petitioning for anyone to move or not to move. I don't care one bit. I'm just saying no one should expect a move is going to solve problems with "happiness" long term without other changes as well, which on their own could probably remedy the same issues without moving. Other factors like being closer to family or such may make a bigger difference of course. The only problem I can see moving itself solving is the "man I really hate that neighbor" problem.

That's why it's sometimes best to go by the saying, "don't know unless you try".

Basically I feel trapped anymore around here and each day I come into work I feel like I am in prison and just doing my time. I need a change and I need adventure in my life. I don't even know if I will miss the state that much. Maybe a little after awhile. But I am SOOOO ready to be back home and be around family etc. Also we need to do it more for our child than ourselves and this is the main factor that we have to keep in mind.

Kinda off topic but the wheels are in motion.

Oil Prices Fall as Nuclear Deal Paves Way for Iran Exports

$2 gas will be back after Iran nuclear deal

Here's another wrench in the oil industry's black gold. A tentative deal was reached with Iran's Nuclear program, though not active right away, will pave way for lifted sanctions and Iran being able to export their oil. They have the 4th largest oil reserves in the world and large potential to flood the market with their own oil once producing would get going. This would further put pressure on long term oil prices. Already in the current market, oil is pressured to stay low throughout the year. Now with the Iran nuclear deal, they are looking at the end of 2015 for Iran to get their sanctions lifted and things rolling with their oil again to export to the current market, thus making 2016 or further not likely to see significant increases in oil prices if at all. But then again, anything can happen in the world politics.

Like what I stated about sanctions possibly being lifted starting at the earliest at the end of 2015, with other steps taking place through 2016 for Iran to start producing oil at high output. Though it's all speculation, anything could happen. There are many other international events waiting to happen.

Hopefully I will be out of here before it nails the final nail in the coffin around here.

And yet production is still steady here in North Dakota. Those with mineral rights may not be making as much money as they once were, but the oil industry is here to stay, it's just too bad that the jobs will be gone until the prices come back. Hopefully sooner than later.

And yet production is still steady here in North Dakota. Those with mineral rights may not be making as much money as they once were, but the oil industry is here to stay, it's just too bad that the jobs will be gone until the prices come back. Hopefully sooner than later.
Yeah, realistically I see a steady workflow of oil production in ND as there is a bunch of oil left in the shale, even though it's deeper and harder to extract. Continuing advances in the fracking methods will allow extracting costs to go down making the Bakken shale able to withstand lower oil prices even better. The slow down will allow the area to catch up to demand and stabilize. However, it doesn't justify the vast amount of greed that took place. Even though I was renting my newer house out at the time for a decent amount, it was $1,000 lower than what several people have said I could be getting, whom have included general contractors and a realtor. In the end, I had good renters and it was more than fair for the both of us. The towns have changed drastically, sure it's good for some businesses, as long as it's about the money flowing in for them.

Yeah, realistically I see a steady workflow of oil production in ND as there is a bunch of oil left in the shale, even though it's deeper and harder to extract. Continuing advances in the fracking methods will allow extracting costs to go down making the Bakken shale able to withstand lower oil prices even better. The slow down will allow the area to catch up to demand and stabilize. However, it doesn't justify the vast amount of greed that took place. Even though I was renting my newer house out at the time for a decent amount, it was $1,000 lower than what several people have said I could be getting, whom have included general contractors and a realtor. In the end, I had good renters and it was more than fair for the both of us. The towns have changed drastically, sure it's good for some businesses, as long as it's about the money flowing in for them.
Ryanator, I was in the same boat. People telling me that I should rent my basement apartment out for way more than it would have been worth a couple of years ago. You gouge someone and you're supposed to feel good about it? I don't think so.

Back