What's new
Fluxoid

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft to ban 'offensive language'

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Microsoft will ban 'offensive language' and 'inappropriate content' from Skype, Xbox, Office and other services on May 1, claiming it has the right to go through your private data to 'investigate.'

Better watch out if you are playing Xbox, get ticked, and cuss. Microsoft might ban you for the “offensive language.” If they do, then say bye-bye to your Xbox Gold Membership and any Microsoft account balances.

Or if you and a significant other are getting hot and heavy via Skype, you better watch your language and any nudity because that, too, can get you banned. The ban hammer could also fall if Cortana is listening at the wrong moment or if documents and files hosted on Microsoft services violate Microsoft’s amended terms.

The changes are part of the new Microsoft Terms of Services agreement that go into effect on May 1 and cover a plethora of Microsoft services.
Source

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Did you read anything more than this? It seems this is just a change to clarify that offensive language is prohibited - meaning it already was and always has been. Unless someone reports your behavior, nothing's going to happen, but if you do cuss someone out verbally or send offensive messages, whether on Skype or Xbox it's always been a reportable offense that has always had action taken. Usually people will get multiple short term communication bans, but repeat offenders are likely to get an account suspension eventually if they don't learn a lesson.

I've reported numerous people for saying stupid shit you just wouldn't actually say to someone IRL. Just because it's online or in a game doesn't make it OK to use the kinds of things this guards against. If it's something I'd reprimand you for face to face, I'll fully support you getting banned from any online service for the same. People that think it's fine to bully, use racial/homophobic/etc slurs, or any such thing should all have internet revoked in general. It's not a right, it's a privilege.

You can get banned from any gaming platform for the same thing.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Behave I suppose. I just reported someone 2 days ago and fully expect they will receive a communications ban for the stupid message they bothered to send me. Generally someone can curse at me all they want, but send anything regarding disabilities, race, sexual preference and I'll report it immediately - and within a few days I'll get a message letting me know action was taken since those are not tolerated.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
So this sounds like in the course of your doing business for the company; there's some customers that don't exercise good manners or etiquette while communicating with you regarding various cases? That's not very professional of them. Not real smart either if they think it's going to speed up assistance or help their plight.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Behave I suppose. I just reported someone 2 days ago and fully expect they will receive a communications ban for the stupid message they bothered to send me. Generally someone can curse at me all they want, but send anything regarding disabilities, race, sexual preference and I'll report it immediately - and within a few days I'll get a message letting me know action was taken since those are not tolerated.
Is this at work on or Xbox Live?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Is this at work on or Xbox Live?
Xbox Live. If anyone were dumb enough to say the kinds of things at work that people say on Xbox they'd be fired pretty darn quick (not cursing, the other things)

I've historically reported at least a few people on PSN as well.

Top Bottom