Is warming up your car hard on the engine?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t know if I quite agree with this. I do trust Popular Mechanics but I think I will stick with letting mine warm up.

Warming your car up in the cold just harms your engine

In the thick of winter, the common wisdom is that when you are gearing up to take your truck out in the cold and snow, you should step outside, start up your engine, and let it idle to warm up. But contrary to popular belief, this does not prolong the life of your engine; in fact, it decreases it by stripping oil away from the engine's cylinders and pistons.

The last thing I read said that 30 seconds is all an engine needs to "warm up".

My boss does this though. We will get in him F350 diesel and he will just start it and go even if it's below zero, no warmup. I always ask him "isn't that hard on the engine"? and he says, "if they can't handle it, they ain't worth to drive".

My boss does this though. We will get in him F350 diesel and he will just start it and go even if it's below zero, no warmup. I always ask him "isn't that hard on the engine"? and he says, "if they can't handle it, they ain't worth to drive".
:ROFLMAO:

I like his thinking.

I don't care about warming up the engine.... I just want to warm up the car

Back