Microsoft Surface

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator

Surface Book

13.5" Display (6 million pixels / 267 ppi)

Intel Skylake Processor (upto i7)

Nvidia Geforce GPU

(upto) 16GB RAM

(upto) 1TB SSD

1.6 pounds

7.4mm thick

Detachable "fulcrum" keyboard

12 hour battery life

Starts at $1499

Pre-order starts today, ships on Oct 26th

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Not sure where you got the specs, but the Surface Book is currently only available with up to 512GB SSD. The Surface Pro 4 does have an option for up to 1TB though.

For either one if you pic the absolute top end specs, expect to shell out 2700. The low and mid-range devices that would meet the needs of most people are more reasonably priced in either case.

Now I will sit and wait for @nodle to come up with some negative opinions to post.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Now I will sit and wait for @nodle to come up with some negative opinions to post.
Negative? I think Surfaces are nice. Downside is they just don't catch on. I would say the downside of this is the cost. For $1499 there are so many more options out there that basically do the same thing. So while it is nice and everything (no complaints about the hardware) it's just that they won't have the sales figures.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Negative? I think Surfaces are nice. Downside is they just don't catch on. I would say the downside of this is the cost. For $1499 there are so many more options out there that basically do the same thing. So while it is nice and everything (no complaints about the hardware) it's just that they won't have the sales figures.
Yet just the other day you posted about wanting to buy other well designed hardware, with a completely inferior OS, worse performance for likely near the same price. Also, not sure where "they don't catch on" comes from, other than maybe you don't see them in mass quantities in your area. The sales numbers for the Pro 3 have been strong and growing.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Yeah for most business people on the move such as consultants, CEOs etc they go surface. Macs are nice for "Maccing" but Surfaces are preferred for most business purposes.

Explain to me this. You have your phone which does what you need apparently so why do you want a Mac? Face it deep down you game. Maybe on hold now but you are still a gamer and power PC user at heart and you are just trying to deny it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
This isn't about macs, they have their place. I'm not knocking surfaces, it's just people still prefer a regular laptop or desktop for a work environment. Tablets have their place. But I just don't these will sell all that great because of the price point. I'm sure Surface sales have gone up like @ndboarder has said, but I think they are trying to catch up to the Ipad market and it will never happen.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
This isn't about macs, they have their place. I'm not knocking surfaces, it's just people still prefer a regular laptop or desktop for a work environment. Tablets have their place. But I just don't these will sell all that great because of the price point. I'm sure Surface sales have gone up like @ndboarder has said, but I think they are trying to catch up to the Ipad market and it will never happen.
Yeah I stand corrected.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
....people still prefer a regular laptop or desktop for a work environment.... I think they are trying to catch up to the Ipad market and it will never happen.
The SurfaceBook is a laptop. It just happens you can remove or reverse the screen and use it in more ways than most other laptops. Almost every company is making some form of "2-in-1" these days. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Asus, etc. They all have devices like this and have had multiple versions of devices like this. Heck, even Apple is trying to make people the iPad could be a true computer with the iPad Pro.

But I'm sure you are right, no one wants anything like this. All these companies making two in one devices or making ultra portable (and powerful) PCs in a tablet form are stupid - no one wants that.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
You gonna get one @ndboarder ?
I am very tempted to order one for home, though I really do not need another machine there. It will definitely be my next machine at work though when I am up for a hardware refresh.

Currently I have a Lenovo laptop, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD primary drive, 1.5TB SSHD secondary drive, connected to 3 x 24" monitors. My need for as much RAM as I have was taken care of, so I would gladly take a sleeker, more portable machine that I can quickly dock at my desk, and easily carry it to meetings and such through the day. With the book, when at my desk, I would reverse the screen so I could move the screen in line with my external monitors. Pen/touch input in meetings would be awesome as well to be able to highlight things without just circling my mouse cursor around them constantly.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Pen/touch input in meetings would be awesome as well to be able to highlight things without just circling my mouse cursor around them constantly.
Or just draw dick picks am I RIGHT???

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
How are the new Surfaces? Does anyone have or use one? I was only around the first and second gen versions.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
The keyboards are stiff and plenty easy to type on. I've owned personal ones, I use a SP4 at work. The biggest issue with using it as a laptop is the kickstand. Depending on the user's size, how they sit and such it may or may not be ideal. For me, the corners of it always dug into my legs a bit when I was using it on my lap. On a desk/table/whatever it's fine. For a laptop, I prefer just using the Surfacebook or a Surface Laptop.

If you want a tablet that can actually be a full computer at times, the Surface is great. If you want a laptop that could once in a while get a Surfacebook. If you want a laptop, get a laptop - and then look at Lenovo/Dell/HP/etc because you can probably get better specs for less money, just not in quite as nice of a package.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I went and looked at one. Costco had a base model Surface Go with the 128gig SSD. It came with the keyboard etc. The kickstand was more sturdy than I thought it would be. The only thing that worries me is the Windows S though. I know you can turn it off, but if you do the system kinda bogs down because of the unapproved apps. But I really did like it.