Menards shopping store

Stick with Home Depot or Lowe's.

All big chain stores have the problem of having some incompetent employees.

Save big money at Menards! Yeah, I agree with nodle.

I would agree. If you know what you are doing/looking for they are all pretty good places. If you rely on asking someone a question more complex than "where can I find Product X?" you are screwed. I've always thought Home Depot/Lowes was better, but in recent visits it sometimes seems Menards has a slightly different and sometimes better assortment of products. Depends where you go, what you want and who you end up talking to in the end.

We have a new one here. Guess it's suppose to be the biggest one that they have ever built. It's nice the location is inconvenient. But it's really going to put alot of pressure on local business around here to be competitive in their pricing.

I've been in it and like it a lot, just what we needed. The size inside is the same as Bismarck, I think it must be the yard that's bigger.

We are getting one in a year or two.

I still prefer Lowe's or Home Depot. Menard's does have a bigger lumber yard, but I hate that they don't carry DeWalt.

DeWalt is a nice overall brand. Runnings in Dickinson carries DeWalt so we have that covered. They also carry one of my favorites, Milwaukee. Menards I believe does have Bosch on some things. I know Menards has their own "high grade" brand, MasterForce along with the generic cheap brands (great for rough things or throw away after good use).

Yeah, plenty of places to get good name brands. Menards does carry a few decent brands on a few products. I don't trust their MasterForce stuff and haven't had much luck with it. Each store has a "Store brand". Lowes = Kobalt, Home Depot = Ryobi, etc. In general though, a lot of what Menards carries just feels cheap to me. I stop there for lumber needs (which isn't often) or a few other things. Most of the time if I need to hit a big box store though I'll go to Lowes and only check the others if I can't get what I want there, or if the same product is cheaper elsewhere.

So today I went into Menards to get some treated lumber for a shed base frame (below the fiberglass/resin shed floor). I needed a treated wood for partial ground contact since it would sit in the ground with just the faces exposed. I read before hand what I needed, which is pressure treated for "ground contact". They also have above ground and critical structure, which is rate for below ground or water.

I went to a guy at the construction department to get the critical structure stuff since it was on sale and better to have the most durable stuff. He was explaining I could just save money and get the regular pressure treated "green" stuff, and that the Cedartone premium, rated at contact ground, was more expensive just for color and nothing else. He also said critical structure was for just load bearing. I didn't want to argue and explained that they do rate them for different levels of rot resistance and such, but could see he was a Mr-know-it-all and it was not going through to him. I ended buying the Cedartone premium since that is all I really needed, and verified that I was correct when going online to read the full descriptions again.

When I bought my bathroom paint the same thing kinda happened to me. I wanted mold and mildew resistant paint since I was repainting or bathroom and thought might as well future proof it. I went in there knowing what I wanted and what company made it. I asked a girl in paint about it and she said they don't make it like that. But I had already been on their website and seen they carried they brand I wanted. She helped me and then I walked around on my own and found it. When I walked by her in the isle I said that I found it and that they do make it, not trying to be mean but to just show her for future customers. I don't think she liked that though and more every time I see that same girl in there it's awkward to look at her because I think she remembers me.

It's like they think they are Einstein and we are arguing the general theory of relativity to them. Some people just have an ego to them that they can't admit it's ok to say they are not sure or "let's find out". It's works better in the long run.

Customer: "Hi there, I'm looking for some wood."

Employee: "Dur, wood, what you dun what that for?"

C: "To build something."

E: "That there wood stuff is not what you need, that's for burning shi* and zombie barriers"

C: "What do you suggest?"

E: " This here new stuff is whatcha want."

C: "But...."

E: "Trust me, I work in this department, I wouldn't be here for no reason."

It's like they think they are Einstein and we are arguing the general theory of relativity to them. Some people just have an ego to them that they can't admit it's ok to say they are not sure or "let's find out". It's works better in the long run.
Ya I wasn't being mean and saying "see I told you so". I was just trying to inform her so she would know in the future. If someone did the same to me I would thank them for letting me know that way I could learn.

Ya I wasn't being mean and saying "see I told you so". I was just trying to inform her so she would know in the future. If someone did the same to me I would thank them for letting me know that way I could learn.
The problem is that most people don't want to look dumb. Imagine if a customer walked in saying something they thought was wrong with their computer after we couldn't find it, how would it make us feel? It discredits our career and ego. People in general can't admit and try to cover it up by saying definite answers. Same thing with doctors, they don't want patients telling them what's wrong anymore, even though the patient knows what's wrong with their body's more than anyone. Of course, the internet has allowed patients to research 1,000 different things that they think are wrong with them and doctors can get overwhelmed by that.But still, at big department stores, they aren't in a professional level in trade most likely, so they should lower their ego some.

Back