Apple TV+ streaming device

Back in the day when these first came out I ordered one. So it was the much larger version of what exists today, and had internal storage. I guess they've added apps (Netflix, etc) since, but back then it was just listen to your music or watch movies you purchase through iTunes.

It wasn't a terrible deal, though it did get pretty damn hot (I'm assuming these new smaller things don't). End of the day, like you said a roku would get the job done. I suppose this adds the advantage(?) of being able to watch movies purchased in iTunes.

I put the ? there because as I've posted before somewhere, I'm not sold on digital movies yet. Nice bonus if you buy a disc, but they all have DRM, so you buy one or two somewhere and you're stuck in that ecosystem to watch them. The closest platforms I've come close to really investing in are Vudu (since they seem to be backed by the industry and have apps for most platforms) or Xbox Video (since I have PCs and Xbox devices and I guess Windows Phone, and given they put Xbox Music on the web and on droid/ios, I won't be surprised to see it hit there either, so again app all over)

I did buy a few iTunes movies when I was using the apple TV, but then they were just stuck in that ecosystem and very little chance you'll ever be able to watch on many non-apple devices. I did manage to strip the DRM off those movies back in the day, but it was painful.

That surprises me. I know are all for digital downloads on the Xbox so why not other platforms?

That surprises me. I know are all for digital downloads on the Xbox so why not other platforms?
Well, digital console games are a little different than digital movies. I don't expect I'll ever be able to play a game anywhere other than on the Xbox console if I buy an xbox game. Digital is pretty awesome since I can just DL and play it on day one, no lines, no pre-orders, and I don't have to get up and change which disc is in the console. Also, I know that in some number of years new stuff will come and I won't go back and play the old games any way. It'd be better yet if people weren't idiots and the Xbox One had shipped as originally planned and I could share those digital games.Anyway, in terms of movies, I want to be able to watch on the TV, on the PC, on my tablet, on my phone. If you fully vest into Apple's digital movies, your movies currently are only available within their eco system. I guess the main differences to me are:

A) Length of time stuck in ecosystem - pretty much indefinite and if you want to leave said ecosystem you are stuck re-buying things on the new or keeping old stuff to go back to watch old shows

B) repurchase - I don't intend to want to buy a new version of the original call of duty (or some other old game). I might go back to play an old game, but very rarely. On the other hand, I've bought some movies now on VHS, DVD and then on BD. It's annoying as hell. Do I really want to buy the same ones again in one digital ecosystem just to find I eventually have to purchase again and again in other ecosystems? Nope I don't

As I type this I do see the similarities, but I just think the whole digital movie thing has a ways to go. Vudu is closest I think, since they have apps on many major platforms. I think MS is moving that way with Xbox video, like they did music, though they have further to go.

Lastly anyway so maybe C, but kinda part of B. Digital is currently HD and not 3D. What about when we start having 4K digital, or 3D digital copies. Do I get to just upgrade my copy for a smaller price or do I have to buy the movie YET AGAIN if I want the 3D option or slightly better looking 4K version?

Well it's like the Ultraviolet stuff. Everything movie you buy comes with this, but have never really used it before.

I just noticed (even though Amazon sells it) that it doesn't even support the Amazon Prime channel.

I use mine for netflix in the bedroom. I guess apple just doesn't want a piece of the casual gaming on the big screen scene. For all the fanciness of the wii u tablet is, they could have already been doing that. *shrug* I don't get it and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

I use mine for netflix in the bedroom. I guess apple just doesn't want a piece of the casual gaming on the big screen scene. For all the fanciness of the wii u tablet is, they could have already been doing that. *shrug* I don't get it and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.
So you have a new Apple TV then? What do you think about it? Is the menu nice and clean? Does it stream good? Good picture quality?

I like it well enough. I haven't really used it for playing music. I don't stream anything other than netflix but is a good stream I guess.

I still hold out hope that the will release a new firmware so that I can play game easier. It is ok, but I don't feel like I can recommend it. I think there are more interesting things.

I like the air play feature of the Apple TV. But the lack of Amazon Prime makes me sway to the Roku 3. Tough call.

I like the air play feature of the Apple TV. But the lack of Amazon Prime makes me sway to the Roku 3. Tough call.
Which is strange, because I listen to mp3s from amazon on my iPod. Maybe we need to buy rokus until apple, if they ever do, come around. Maybe it's worth double checking to see if it will stream from my iPod. I just checked, there is an amazon instant app you can stream from iPad.

Ya....any iOS device with iOS 6 or above. Neat.

Back to the point though. Would benic if it was native on the apple tv

Typos suck. I was in a leather recliner typing on ipod. How close are you to getting one? Is it for use in the living room?

I don't know still trying to decide between it and the Roku 3. I like the clean interface of the Apple, but the lack of Prime really turns me off. But the Air Play would be nice.

I don't know still trying to deciede between it and the Roku 3. I like the clean interface of the Apple, but the lack of Prime really turns me off. But the Air Play would be nice.
I never even use our streaming Prime. I don't like the layout as much as Netflix and they seem like they have about the same content. But it is nice to have as an option so I understand your point.

I never even use our streaming Prime. I don't like the layout as much as Netflix and they seem like they have about the same content. But it is nice to have as an option so I understand your point.
Hate to be a "me too" but he is right. The amount of times that we have used amazon is nearly zero. Unless your daughters are having a Barbie party and Shopko doesn't have the dvd in stock, you might not need amazon.

Recent thoughts:

Kids got a tv and for some reason, they didn't want the wii in their room. So I moved the Apple TV to their room. Parental controls are decent. I was able to hide just about everything. If you have a decent cable provider you can watch Disney, or ESPN "channels." We don't, but Mid. Co. was on the list.

Back