Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Mattresses

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
So mattresses, which one do you have and why? I was due for a new one and like usual, did a lot of research before buying one. I looked around locally, but things were the same, high markups, and have to do the negotiation game like buying a vehicle. Online bed in the box companies, which is a huge competitive market, gives you questionable quality materials for anything under $1500-2000.

Then I remembered going back up to 10 years ago that I always wanted a latex mattress and even considered the DIY route by buying each layer separately and putting in a mattress case. You can do this with coil, foam, latex, or anything else if you want. I decided to go with the latex, by having a nice solid 6" Dunlop latex medium firmness core with a soft 3" Talalay latex on top. This gives you that progressive transition that gives pressure poing relief on top with good support to keep the spine in line. The types of firmness levels, number of layers, and types of latex depends on the persons own body weight and type, along with what side you sleep on. By going this way, you get premium mattress materials at a much smaller cost and will last 15-25 years, much better than most current mattresses which seem to be designed to only last 5-10 years at even higher prices. Latex keeps you cool to sleep, good responsive support, non-toxic (compared to memory foams), and long durability.

My recent mattresses have been a regular coil support type with cheap cushioning on top, which only lasted around 3 years each and still caused pain on key pressure points like shoulders and hips since I'm a side sleeper. I remember in college I got myself a cheap memory foam mattress and it gave me the best sleep ever until it gave out 4-5 years later. At that time, I was younger and took for granted how important a good restful sleep is. When it came time to replace it, I kept just getting inferior mattresses due to moving and getting by temporarily. Even though you can build your own memory foam mattress as well out of premium foams at cheaper prices, I still wanted to go with a latex one due to my reasonings above and their high satisfaction rates.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
We have two memory foam mattress. I think the brands are temperpedic? I know the twin that we have is a harder version though than our king. I believe that they sell them not only in hardness scales, but they also make them in a range of temperatures from cool to warm. I think a mattress is something that you want to invest in since you do spend most of your life on one, and they can really control how good your day will go based on the amount of sleep you get. I don't have a problem with coil springs either. I have slept on some nice pillow tops. I haven't heard of latex though. Does the latex ones have a jiggle to them? Is it more of a gel feel?

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I would say latex mattresses have something in between a jiggle and gel feel, depending on firmness. They are very resilient, giving support to a great amount of surface area, and bounce back to their original shape instantly. Memory foam gives that nice sinking in feeling and like it's hugging you, while latex is more like you don't feel much, but like you are on top. Latex was used many decades ago as the premium natural material until higher quality memory foams came to the market.