States force online retailers to collect sales tax

Davidc

Reaction score
All signs point to the eventual closing of long-standing loopholes that let you buy stuff online without paying sales tax. The key question is who will have to collect the tax when someone buys something from a third-party seller on Amazon: Amazon or the merchant?
A 25-year-old U.S. Supreme Court case established the rules many online merchants follow today. The ruling barred North Dakota from forcing Quill, a mail-order office-supply operator, to levy sales tax because the company lacked a physical presence in the state.For many years, Amazon hewed to the Quill ruling and didn’t collect sales tax — even on the stuff it sold itself. But the company gradually changed its position as it built warehouses all over the country, giving it a greater physical presence in multiple states. Amazon now collects sales tax on inventory it owns directly in all states that levy such taxes.

But about half of its sales are goods owned by 2 million merchants posting products on its site. Amazon leaves tax collection up to them, and many maintain that’s not their responsibility. That’s why shoppers pay tax on some Amazon purchases and not on others. 
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazons-sales-tax-fight-is-heating-up-as-states-crack-down/

Just move a state over no sales tax.

Unless the Supremes meet again to shut it all down.

Oh internet, how I loved thee.  The golden age has long since gone, but remnants still remain. When the day our tax-free(dom) is taken away, will be the day I become in dismay.

So this means that any states that charge sales tax can collect them from any site now for online purchases, but does not affect states that do not have sales tax already?

If it wasn't for the round-about nature of double dipping taxes, maybe people wouldn't be as against them. I'm taxed on my income heavily, then taxed when I spend, doesn't seem right. And the same people who think they are couch-economists or control budgets for work think they are necessary, why don't you look at the high pay gaps, large unnecessary overhead, and inefficiency going on, that's where to start overhauling before relying on more taxes on citizens.

If it wasn't for the round-about nature of double dipping taxes, maybe people wouldn't be as against them. I'm taxed on my income heavily, then taxed when I spend, doesn't seem right. And the same people who think they are couch-economists or control budgets for work think they are necessary, why don't you look at the high pay gaps, large unnecessary overhead, and inefficiency going on, that's where to start overhauling before relying on more taxes on citizens.
This post just cost you a tax.

I accept PayPal :)

Sorry to sort of go off subject about this actual topic but it pertains to taxes.

I don't get how if we are not to be doubled taxed but we still get double taxed all the time. We earn money and have to pay taxes on it. Then we have our take home pay. When we spend it we are taxed on what we spend which was already taxed when we bought it. Okay I guess those taxes are "required" to fund and pay for local things.

BUT, what about this? Say I work hard my whole life, pay tax of course, save all that money to give to my kid/kids...Why are they taxed on that inheritance? If it's money someone already earned, payed taxes on and saved then passed down to their family it should not be taxed again.

Sorry to sort of go off subject about this actual topic but it pertains to taxes.I don't get how if we are not to be doubled taxed but we still get double taxed all the time. We earn money and have to pay taxes on it. Then we have our take home pay. When we spend it we are taxed on what we spend which was already taxed when we bought it. Okay I guess those taxes are "required" to fund and pay for local things.
BUT, what about this? Say I work hard my whole life, pay tax of course, save all that money to give to my kid/kids...Why are they taxed on that inheritance? If it's money someone already earned, payed taxes on and saved then passed down to their family it should not be taxed again.
Because Government.

Cuz income from any source is taxed. Same as when a company makes money they have to pay taxes on it, then taxes are paid when that money swaps hand and goes to employees as their pay.

Basically income is taxed, not bills/currency. Whenever a business or person earns income, it is taxed.

Just remember this is why we went searching for a new land to get away from King George and all his taxes. Glad to see it worked.

Just remember this is why we went searching for a new land to get away from King George and all his taxes. Glad to see it worked.
And here I thought it was to get away from "Taxation without representation" - not to have no taxes at all.

Back