Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Loss of quality

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So this day and age quality work has become a thing of the past. I will take yesterday for example. I took my truck in to get wheels put on and checked my tire pressure when I got home and each tire had a different pressure in them. Like my dad said "how hard is it when you get done to put the right amount of air in and test it"? But it's not only this. Every where I go this day and age the quality is poor. From my smashed burger at a fast food place, to the crushed boxes at Walmart. No one gives a damn anymore about anything. They just want to make it though the day so they can go home. I sometimes even find myself wanting to do the same. Just do a half assed job so I can go home. But then I catch myself and think "How would I like this"? But I am just one that thinks this way. Seems like no one else does really anymore. Does anyone else find the lack of quality this day and age horrible? I mean you pay for a service. You expect it to be done correctly.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Problem is most places these workers just don't care because of how they were brought up or branched off in life. Overall people just don't care about anyone or anything but themselves anymore....for the most part. Add to that the pay is terrible and it's all about fast service for cheap.

C Pav

Members
I'll add to this. Sure I sometimes complain I don't want to be here but when it comes to my work done I always try my best to get it done right. I may mess up or forget something by mistake but I don't intentionally do a crappy job or don't care about my work I do. Ask nodle about the times I would spend extra time trying to find where an extra screw goes on a printer or laptop, taking it apart multiple times until I found it....until we learned that an extra screw means it was done right :cool:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So here I am back again. Got a notice in the mail the other day that our Subaru had a recall on a part. Nothing to major, so I had my wife make an appointment.  She took the car over yesterday and last night after she got home I thought well I will just check on it. They had to replace a part around the windshield wiper. So I popped the hood and started to take a look. I could see what needed to be done. They had to remove this plastic cover to access it. Well you know those little plastic plugs that vehicles use? Well I start to take a look and here there are about 5 that aren't even attached, all broken to pieces. Some are missing and out of about 10, only 2 are good. Well I have never been in there and Lord knows it didn't come from the factory like that. So I took some pictures and am going to call the service manager to bitch. It's shit like this that boils my blood. You are the official dealer. Even if they are hard to get out, you replace them with new ones. You don't do a half assed job on something so easy.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
....They had to remove this plastic cover to access it. Well you know those little plastic plugs that vehicles use? Well I start to take a look and here there are about 5 that aren't even attached, all broken to pieces. Some are missing and out of about 10, only 2 are good....
With the right tool those things are pretty easily removed without damage. If they are in a crummy spot that's hard to reach I guess they can still be a pain, but that's pretty ridiculous they would've messed so many up. 

A while back I had my car in, a couple weeks later I popped my hood and found a plastic cover and some of those plugs just laying on top of the engine.  It was a miracle they hadn't fallen off over a couple weeks of driving or fallen down into something and caused problems.  I knew where it was supposed to go, but drove back to the dealer just to show them what it was and make them put the cover back in place.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Yup I agree with you @ndboarder you know exactly what I am talking about. It wasn't in a hard to reach place, in fact just out in the open in plain sight. I just got off the phone with the service manager who was very nice about it. I was upset or rude on the phone, but like I told him I just expected them to at least replace them when they got broke. I know they can sometimes be a bear to get off. He was nice and said to have her stop in and he would replace them himself. Shit happens I understand, but on something that cost pennies and takes an extra 3 minutes to do, just do it right the first time. I feel bad for the people that never check.

C Pav

Members
Yeah that does sound frustrating but what about all the laptops we used to service under warranty...

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Yeah that does sound frustrating but what about all the laptops we used to service under warranty...
We did our best and I am proud of the work I use to do. I mean remember our work environment. Most repair shops have blueprints or repair manuals. They would also have the correct tools, replacement screws, replacement parts etc. For what we had to work with I say we did a dam good job and I am proud of what we accomplished all those years.

C Pav

Members
We did our best and I am proud of the work I use to do. I mean remember our work environment. Most repair shops have blueprints or repair manuals. They would also have the correct tools, replacement screws, replacement parts etc. For what we had to work with I say we did a dam good job and I am proud of what we accomplished all those years.
I know I was joking. Just thinking about the fun of prying open laptop shells and similar hard to do things. Oh and we had plenty of replacement screws...

from past laptops we worked on!

Last edited by a moderator:

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Most of my recent stories come from 3 difference service centers here for my vehicle.

1) Wal-mart oil change. They forgot to put the oil cap back on, oil spewed on the underhood for 3 weeks until I noticed a strong oil smell on the inside and I was smelling like oil every time I drove the car. This was in the middle of winter, so I didn't think of checking under the hood. The oil cap was wedged between a hose and something so I didn't lose it. I told Wal-mart about this and they cleaned my engine and gave me a free future oil change.

2) Local Car Dealership service center - When I brought my car in for an issue, they told me one thing, then when I talked to them I got a call back saying, "oh it's only this", so not as bad. Well, after their expert mechanic service, they forgot to connect a sensor wire plug which kept making my engine light go on. I caught this right away and did it myself, reset the console, and the light went off.

3) Goodyear Tire Service - Patched my tire that had a nail go through, came back with a cracked rim cover. I know because I took it off myself before I went up there and know for sure it was not cracked. They forced it back on. Luckily my car is not worth much so I don't care as much and didn't want to bother.

Last edited:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So here is a story that is somewhat related. Boss went to use my laptop and said it wouldn't turn on. So I went into work this morning to try to send an email off and he was right, low and behold nothing. So I thought well I better take a look (remember I use to do this for a living, so I somewhat know what I am doing). Took it apart and looked inside. I am sorry laptop quality these days are shit. This is not a cheap model HP either, it is an i7, not that it means anything. There was loose pieces of plastic inside, just floating around. Not from me since it was just opened and I take care of my stuff. Besides there is not much you can do with them these days anyways. No more CMOS to clear, attached battery etc. I did what I could do then went online and looked and sure enough just by punching the models in there are people complaining about the motherboards going out. It went out almost exactly 3 years since purchase date. I'm telling you they purposely make them only last 3 years so you will have to buy another one. So this will be fun explaining to my boss, and fun going into work without a computer to work on, and all my work is done though it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well back at work for me today, and I got a new laptop. a 17" this time, it's alright and will work for me. Took me all morning to transfer the data back over though. But I am back up and running now.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I would also like to mention web host support as well. Nothing like asking for a simple fix for a problem with their own software and have support wait as long as they are allowed to get back to you (if you watch the emails times they wait purposely as they are allowed to get back to you and then will send a response that only allows them to drag it out even more). This happened the last few times, so nothing like staying up till 1:00 a.m. and switching hosts and getting everything moved over, files, SQL database, SSL cert and more.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
We went into a T-mobile store and ended up going to a different t-mobile store just because of the attitude of the person. I choose not to do business with her just because of the way she acted. Be more professional.