Looking for new router

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I still love my Asus, but looking to get into a AC router. Mine is getting older, just a N, but it also seems to be cutting out a lot more and more lately even though I am running back on stock firmware with the latest. It's been good but want to try something new. So I think I want a AC tri-band router with beam forming etc. I don't want a Netgear, even though their sky hawks look decent. Don't want another Asus, nothing wrong but want to try a new brand. So I have been looking at some of the TP-Link stuff. I have a extender from them and like it, plus I like their firmware. Also even looked at the new Linksys ones. Even though they sucked in previous years, some of the new ones look decent. Anyone picked up a new router lately that may have a recommendation?

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
This topic is relevant to me too right now.  I still have the tried and true Linksys WRT54G router and it just started to have the cut out issues in the last year.  I bought it in late 2009, so I'm looking for a new one.  I tried different channels (1-11), but didn't seem to help.  I'm running the Tomato firmware, maybe I'll try updating to a LInksys firmware as I don't utilize the full potential as the tomato firmware offers and see if that helps any.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
If your running the original wrt54g router then you are going to be out of luck for the official firmware. I mean its going to be old and Tomato or DD-WRT are going to be your best bet for that. (Great router though, I have two in my closets still). Linksys did come out with some new WRT models lately. Trying to cash back in with the people that loved the first generation. They are decent and I have been looking at them too. I like how they still have the lights on the front for the LAN ports, which a lot no longer do. The firmware is decent looking to with the connected devices and even OOKLA speed test built into the firmware. But ya you are defiantly due for an upgrade @ryanator.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
An interesting note I forgot about the Linksys stuff. It is no longer built by Cisco, but now owned by Belkin. So basically just re-branded.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I'd just find yourself an Asus AC router if you are looking to upgrade, still the best bet and most used by any of my technologically knowledgeable cohorts as far as consumer grade routers.  The newer Nighthawks are nice as well, but I still prefer Asus over Netgear

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya my last Netgear was crap. I hate their firmware gui also. Asus do make good stuff,but kinda want to try another brand. The TP-Links are Amazons best sellers and #1 on the charts at SmallNetBuilder.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I have been looking all day, kinda burnt out now. Also sick of Amazon raising their prices while you look. I watched two models go up $30 each just from looking at them today.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
If your running the original wrt54g router then you are going to be out of luck for the official firmware. I mean its going to be old and Tomato or DD-WRT are going to be your best bet for that. (Great router though, I have two in my closets still). Linksys did come out with some new WRT models lately. Trying to cash back in with the people that loved the first generation. They are decent and I have been looking at them too. I like how they still have the lights on the front for the LAN ports, which a lot no longer do. The firmware is decent looking to with the connected devices and even OOKLA speed test built into the firmware. But ya you are defiantly due for an upgrade @ryanator.
The WRT and Tomato firmware are dated 2009 while Linksys has one out in 2012 for the 1.1 hardware version I have.  Though I doubt it will help, since the issue has just started happening recently.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I've been looking at the Synology RT1900ac router today. Synology is known for the NAS systems and their GUI. They are pretty new to the router market but released a router with their popular GUI. It doesn't look to bad.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
One thing when looking at routers, is to go to their manufactures product page and look at their firmware updates. When was the last time they updated their firmware, and how many revisions are there. You can buy a fancy high end router and have crappy support and patches. I think I have my mind made up.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
One thing when looking at routers, is to go to their manufactures product page and look at their firmware updates. When was the last time they updated their firmware, and how many revisions are there. You can buy a fancy high end router and have crappy support and patches. I think I have my mind made up.
Could also mean they have broken junk that needs constant fixes...kidding. So what is your decision?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Frequent updates <> good.

New or updated features = great!   Constant need to fix problems = bad idea

Guess someone has to be the guinea pig though

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Think I am going to try the Synology, they are a good company, and dem updates and new features.

I have been reading how Linksys won't even patch the vulnerabilities.