Linux & Servers

ndboarder

Reaction score
Post your thoughts on linux. Distros, tweaks, experiments, handy tools, server abilities, etc.

I'd like to get a Linux Squid Proxy Server set up. Makes for super fast browsing when surfing sites that you frequent often. Of course with webmin it seems fairly easy to accomplish however, the manual approach seems a little daunting. This is neat stuff.

Ok, so I primarily run Gentoo on my server and as a linux environment on my desktop. I have done some experimenting in Suse, Mandrake (now Mandriva), Redhat, Xandros, and a little with Ubuntu via a liveCD.

I enjoy linux primarily because it's something to learn and offers such vast possibilities. On my server I run Apache with PHP support, MySQL, ProFTPd, sshd, and Webmin currently. This setup basically allows me to experiment with PHP frontends to databases, host my current POS site, and remote command line access via SSH or remote management of Services/Users/etc with Webmins web interface. Oh, and of course there is FTP available to a few people.

The next thing I would like to do is install and configure Bind, DNS, and a DHCP server to handle my network and use my current router more as a hub and wireless AP. Once this is working I want to experiment with creating a VPN tunnel, for which I will require the assistance of davec for a network to tunnel to. Eventually I would then require VPN connectivity to access FTP, and enable Samba shares so that one could create mapped drives.

I have a linux disc I use as a coaster :-D

I'd like to get a Linux Squid Proxy Server set up. Makes for super fast browsing when surfing sites that you frequent often. Of course with webmin it seems fairly easy to accomplish however' date=' the manual approach seems a little daunting. This is neat stuff.[/quote']I'm not too familiar with squid's overall capabilities but have heard good things. I agree that webmin can simplify tasks, but the manual approach is my preferred method, just so I have a better understanding of what is happening in the background.What about an email server? I have toyed with a couple different available options, but have never stuck it out long enough to get one fully working, I was at one time able to receive emails sent to me @ndboarder.com, but couldn't quite get the SMTP portion working to send out from the domain.

Yeh let's get that vpn tunnel going thar. Loving it. It would be interesting to get some samba shares going across the network. Bind would be good learnin experience indeed. I have people at the office giving me their older machines all the time. Granted they are 486DX or 1st Gen Pents but, I'd like to get some of these dinosaurs running some services.

Yeh let's get that vpn tunnel going thar. Loving it. It would be interesting to get some samba shares going across the network. Bind would be good learnin experience indeed. I have people at the office giving me thier older machines all the time. Granted they are 486DX or 1st Gen Pents but' date=' I'd like to get some of these dinosaurs running some services.[/quote']Yah my server used to be a 1st Gen Pentium, but those would run bind or some of those services fine (unless you were getting thousands of simultaneous hits). I've done Bind before when I was at Sundog as assistant network admin, I'd have to refresh myself on it, but we could likely set up a master-slave orientation between yours and mine and essentially merge out networks across the VPN. Or it might be a different setup I'm thinking (not master-slave) but there's one where they would update each others DNS entries if things were to be changed, many interesting possibilities sir.

I like the idea of merged networks. Lots of educational possibilities.

Back