Anyone still use XM or Sirius?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see they have their free channel lineup available. Been listening to it and though about canceling my Spotify and switching to them. Anyone else still use their services?

No, I had it years ago when it came free with a car for a while.  Kept it for a few years as they kept offering 50% off when I would go to cancel.  That routine got old and I don't drive far enough often enough for satellite radio to matter much.

Is their streaming offering at all comparable to Spotify?  Their site currently tells me "Free listening is over, lock in 6 months for some discount price"   Either way, I can't imagine they have the catalog size to match spotify or other services that give you both radio options, curated playlists and an ability to create your own library/playlists.  I don't know first hand, but I would imagine they are closer to pandora than Spotify?

We have it in the vehicle temporarily. It's ok and was nice for long drives. But I think you'd miss Spotify in short order.

Ya just trying to decide. They have a promo where it's $30 for 6 months which is fairly cheap.

I dunno - I think services like Spotify offer a lot more.  If you are just looking to save money, drop Spotify and turn on your FM radio.

I signed up for the $30 for 6 months thing. I will just cancel before it comes. It's nice to have when your traveling.

And here i am still using my 15 year old scratched up cds.

My subscription was up and I called in, they tried to give me the run around again about cancelling. I go "look if you want to give me another deal for 6 more months I will sign back up again". The guy goes "how about 6 months for $35"? So I signed back up again. :)

Just got an email stating that in 2019 the music industry will be raising their royalty fees 2.3% on XM packages. :rolleyes:

My other 6 month trial was up again, I said give me the 6 month deal again for $30 and I'll keep it. Sure enough they did. :)

I got an email from Sirius/XM yesterday, and I see they now off free streaming on apps. This includes Alexa etc. with just their standard account. I figured they would have to go this route to compete with everyone else. Still nice to see.

Tied this to my Alexa devices, and it works like a charm.

My XM was due again so I called in, they went through their whole speech and wanted to change me $99, I said no I want to pay what I payed last time. Then the lady said she could do it for $45. I said no I want to pay what I paid last time. Got it back down to $35. They are always willing to negotiate with you, never pay full price.

Back