Let's talk about vehicle GPS devices

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Apr 28, 2006
Tried Waze out this weekend for the fun of it. Worked well, just like google maps does.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
If your playing around, download the Tom Tom go app, you only get 49 miles per month for free without paying for the yearly price, but see what you think. It has made me want to go with Tom Tom.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Apr 28, 2006
If your playing around, download the Tom Tom go app, you only get 49 miles per month for free without paying for the yearly price, but see what you think. It has made me want to go with Tom Tom.
Why not just go with the free ones?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Apr 28, 2006
Because Tom Tom also displays POIs or Points of Interests, gas stations, restaurants, rest areas, etc.
Have you looked at settings for the map in some free ones? I feel like this is something you can enable on most of them. At the very least they let you search for broad things, such as "nearby coffee shops" or such pretty easily. If you're on the road a lot, something paid could be worth it

nodle

Cheesemonger
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
If you're on the road a lot, something paid could be worth it
That's what I was saying about the Tom Tom versions. I don't see it in Waze the options to enable all of those things. Honestly I was surprised that Garmin doesn't make an app. They have some but not really for vehicles. Now the Garmin GPS has a great POI system that will actually show the symbol of the restaurant or gas station.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Apr 28, 2006
That's what I was saying about the Tom Tom versions. I don't see it in Waze the options to enable all of those things. Honestly I was surprised that Garmin doesn't make an app. They have some but not really for vehicles. Now the Garmin GPS has a great POI system that will actually show the symbol of the restaurant or gas station.

I haven't looked on Waze but Google Maps has that. Restaurants, gas stations, parks, you name it.