What's new
Fluxoid

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss Barbecuers

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Thinking about picking up Traegers rack to hold more jerky on. I figure might as well use all the smoke to your advantage.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Well I must say my first batch of jerky was pretty successful. I got all the ingredients the night before. I actually found and "eye of round" at the store. She was spendy. I also picked up some flank steak. In the future I think I will just go with flank, it is mostly flat already and makes nice strips. I then made my marinate. I also went with Guinness beer for my dark beer mix. After blending everything Then put everything in the fridge overnight. I also decided to smoke using mesquite pellets. I had a little problem starting it. Just an FYI, after it smoke it will go on a cycle where it smokes every 3-5 minutes. Just leave it alone the Traeger computer knows. I let it cook for 5 hours total, with me rotating the meat half way through. When I pulled it off I ate a piece and it was super peppery. After putting it in the fridge to cool the intense pepper taste went away. I think it was just the heat causing it. Pretty impressed, love the flavor and it came out perfect. Can't wait to try out another recipe or just tweek this one some. I will try to post some pictures of the meat later as well.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
I prefer a thinner, typically very dry jerky. Robertson's real beef jerky (sold as Love's real beef jerky in gas stations as well) is pretty good stuff. Very light on seasonings though. The same gas station sells one other brand that's more seasoned and a slight bit thicker cut. Can't recall the brand off hand though. Makes me want to stop and grab a jar, and pick up some Hi Mountain jerky seasoning at Fleet Farm to do so of my own stuff

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
I'm going to go with a different wood, and I think I will try a "sweet teriyaki" style. I actually thought about using some pineapple juice in the marinade.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Some pineapple juice would be good I bet. The best thing about making your own is you can season to your taste. I have a big bag of mequite chunks that I'll probably never use. Might just toss it in the fire pit when used this summer. I just prefer about any other good smoking wood. Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Pecan, etc

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
I'm considering another batch this weekend. Here is my homemade recipe that I made up in my head that I am considering:

• Use Hickory this time for the smoke
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 1 triple cola (not coke, but it's an old fashioned flavor)
  • 1 small can of pineapple juice
  • 2-3 tablespoons of honey
  • 2-3 table spoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of Worcester sauce
What do you think?

jmanz

I bought you the sims
I'm considering another batch this weekend. Here is my homemade recipe that I made up in my head that I am considering:

• Use Hickory this time for the smoke
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 1 triple cola (not coke, but it's an old fashioned flavor)
  • 1 small can of pineapple juice
  • 2-3 tablespoons of honey
  • 2-3 table spoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of Worcester sauce
What do you think?
One way to find out.....Did you eat all the other stuff already?

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
New batch came out decent. No pepper this time. I found out that I didn't have enough pellets for the hickory, so I ended up using my mixture bag which was cheery, hickory, and alder.

Top Bottom