Lets discuss Barbecuers

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Note to self for next time.....It took about 4.5 hours at 300 temp for a 16.5lb bird. Next time I will cook at 325 to expedite the process a bit since turkey does not benefit from the "low and slow" method.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Note to self for next time.....It took about 4.5 hours at 300 temp for a 16.5lb bird. Next time I will cook at 325 to expedite the process a bit since turkey does not benefit from the "low and slow" method.
The smoke probably had a hard time penetrating that thick skin.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
You know what I would like to see it a 'Green Egg' style barbecue, but instead of using coals, use a pellet system. Do they make such a thing? Don't you still have a 'Green Egg' @ndboarder ?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
You know what I would like to see it a 'Green Egg' style barbecue, but instead of using coals, use a pellet system. Do they make such a thing? Don't you still have a 'Green Egg' @ndboarder ?
Yes. I use a gas grill for simple things (burgers, dogs, brats). I fire up the charcoal for most other things (steaks, smoking, etc). If using it for smoking I have a setup that monitors the temp and stokes the coals as needed to keep the air temp at an exact setting. For strictly smoking a pellet grill would be better, but I think something like this is the most versatile grill. Recently did a turkey and a ribeye roast on it.

Why do you want a ceramic style grill that's pellet driven? Heat retention an issue with your grill or something? I'm sure some of that style could be converted, you'd just have to watch the pellet quality and make sure there was nothing in them that would get into the ceramic of the grill. That's not any different than charcoal though, they do not want you using charcoal brickets (not pure enough) or any lighter fluid because the thigns they release can get into the ceramic and affect the flavor of foods for a long while after their use.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I just like the looks of the 'Green Eggs'.