Microsoft to cut up to 18,000 jobs

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The larger-than-expected cuts are the deepest in the company's 39-year history and come five months into the tenure of Chief Executive Satya Nadella, who outlined plans for a "leaner" business in a public memo to employees last week.
Ouch! You safe @ndboarder ?Source

You didn't see all the rumors leading up to the announcement today? Big cuts, majority apparently will be from the Nokia acquisition. It sucks, but if you absorb 30,000 employees into a near 100,000 employee workforce, there's bound to be a lot of role duplication...

MS stock hit a 14 year high yesterday. Guess we'll see if this drives it higher yet, or back down. Though I'd guess rumor of this for the past week or so likely had some effect on the price getting to where it was, the announcement itself may not do much.

We were staring to get worried. Didn't see you on here.

Looks like some people knew ahead of time. Nothing like capitalism to make people unemployed.

CR2mRsd.jpg

The reports about the cuts started last week, and rumors that they would happen or announce today started yesterday.

I'm sure it helped with that rise yesterday, but wasn't the sole reason either.

In addition to the workforce cuts, I saw some articles that some of the Nokia phone business is being cut as well. The Nokia X line (low-end android devices) and their low-end (non-smart) phones. Some of the X devices will be transitioned to WP, which seems a little odd since there's already products like the Lumia 520,521 and 635 in the market as low-end WP devices costing anywhere from about $50-150 with no contracts.

Back