iTunes is a resource hog

ndboarder

Reaction score
Alright, I used iTunes once before and was less than impressed (back when Pepsi was giving songs away -- i hated it so I used one and gave the rest of my free songs away)

Now I have been toying with it again and good lord is it a POS. 50 MB of my RAM being used by it, and I have a fair share of resources free and it still brings my activities to a near stop for a few seconds and completely stops play back for a few seconds occasionally, and far to frequently starts skipping, sounding like when you have vinyl skipp, ski, skippi, skipping.

Any veterans of the junk software know of a way to tune the performance?

I totally agree with you. The Ipod is a good Mp3 player, but Itunes suck. They need to make so many changes to it.

Itunes does use up a lot of resources. I have a high end pc and it still takes a lot to just start the program.

The computers I use it on aren't at the top end anymore, but are up there as well. I found some suggestions and tried the following, which seems to have helped at the time being (for audio output not being so flaky)

Control Panel -> Quicktime -> Audio tab -> check Safemode (waveOut only) -> Apply -> OK -> restart iTunes if it was running

According to what I could find at apple.com this helps get around issues with some sound cards

This has been dead a while, and I have a new complaint about iTunes.  Our dumb network guy put my PC on the domain a couple weeks ago and yesterday I opened iTunes for the first time since this occurred.  Well it went and did some installing for the new user and opened up fine, but it won't close.  I shut it, it closes, then it starts itself up again.  It is awesome :smt011  oh well... just wanted to let that out

This has been dead a while, and I have a new complaint about iTunes.  Our dumb network guy put my PC on the domain a couple weeks ago and yesterday I opened iTunes for the first time since this occurred.  Well it went and did some installing for the new user and opened up fine, but it won't close.  I shut it, it closes, then it starts itself up again.  It is awesome :smt011  oh well... just wanted to let that out
Ya its still a love/hate relationship for me also. I want the freedom to use what i want to. Do you have the latest version and everything?

Ya its still a love/hate relationship for me also. I want the freedom to use what i want to. Do you have the latest version and everything?
I think there might be an updated version out now, but restarting my PC might help as well.  However, unless something of utter importance comes up requiring restart that won't likely happen until next monday when i get to work

I think there might be an updated version out now, but restarting my PC might help as well.  However, unless something of utter importance comes up requiring restart that won't likely happen until next monday when i get to work
Do you leave yours on all the time?

At work it's on from Monday morning until Friday afternoon unless I have no other choice.  The software and such that we work with has so much @#$%^& that loads on startup that it's nearly unbearable to wait for everything to get loaded. 

At work it's on from Monday morning until Friday afternoon unless I have no other choice.  The software and such that we work with has so much @#$%^& that loads on startup that it's nearly unbearable to wait for everything to get loaded. 
lol, ya i finally got tired of my crap system and went and told the boss i needed something new. Got a dual core Intel :roll: with a gig of memory. But its better than what i had.

lol, ya i finally got tired of my crap system and went and told the boss i needed something new. Got a dual core Intel :roll: with a gig of memory. But its better than what i had.
Come on your old system was way better then mine.

Back