IOS ad blockers

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I thought I would do a right up on the ad blockers out there for IOS. Since the introduction of IOS9 you can now block ads in Safari like you do with Firefox or Chrome. This is a great feature since your webpages load not only fast but they use less bandwidth and if your using your cellular data this will cut down on your data usage.

So the first ad blocker I tried was Crystal This app is simple but doesn't have a white list at the moment. News recently came out that the author is going to allow certain ads to come though though. But the author states that this is somewhat true but will be optional. It did a job job and was simple, but this worried me so I tried another.

The next one I tried was Blockbear. This one is from the makers of TunnelBear which make a great VPN. This blocker does support a white list for ads. It also blocks social tracking and tracking. But one thing I noticed that not all ads were blocked and some of them would leave the ad space but just blank it out. I am hoping that this will be fixed in a future version. I really want to use this ad blocker as my main but will have to wait till they fix this one.

The last one I tried is Purify This seems to be the hottest one rising now that the news about the Crystal app got out. This is is fairly simple also and supports a white list and even allows you to block images, scripts, and fonts. This one also removed the ad spaces out like Crystal did. This seems to be the one to go with at the moment. After the others update themselves I may try the others again.

These can all be had for $.99 cents at the moment each. When the first came out they were around $2.99 each. So you may wan't to pick one up sooner than later.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I recently switched to 1Blocker since the others weren't being updated. Had to disable a couple of things that it was blocking. But you have no excuse not to use it since it's free.