What's new
Fluxoid

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imaging Server

Afternoon all,

it's been awhile since I have posted here. We currently have a server here in the office and I was asked if I would like to work on it to create an image server.

Would anyone have any experience doing this? This is new to me

Last edited:

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
So is this for internal use only? Or would the files be linked on the internet etc.? A typical file server would be fine for internal use only. But if you are looking to host them online you would also need a domain name so that the links could be pointed back and resolve to the host or server. I guess you could host online without a domain name as well and point back to a IP address. But then you will also have to contend with bandwidth. There are some NAS devices that can also create links which will allow pointing back to the server as well for sharing images etc. I guess we need a little more info on exactly what you want it to do.

Last edited:

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Boy honestly I have never really looked into this before myself. I think @C Pav use to use one at a school system back in the day. In theory I know how they work, but have never set one up. I was looking around google and there is some free software out there Clonedeploy. But there might be some good pay ones out there as well. Does Acronis make one?

For a second there I thought you were talking about a PXE boot server.
actually I am under the impression this may be the goal.

Server = Images Hosted

Client = Accessing the images via Boot Up

I began to look around yesterday to get an idea and came across a video that mentioned this sofware > https://sourceforge.net/projects/cruciblewds/

I continued to look around and came across around this video >

I also am not sure which OS would need to be used to perform this nor am I familiar with the amount of drives that are needed for space

Boy honestly I have never really looked into this before myself. I think @C Pav use to use one at a school system back in the day. In theory I know how they work, but have never set one up. I was looking around google and there is some free software out there Clonedeploy. But there might be some good pay ones out there as well. Does Acronis make one?
Thank you Nodle - I also came across CloneDeploy yesterday as I was doing a quick browse. I am going to also have a second look

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Microsoft has free deployment services. We have it running on Windows Server 2012 R2 if I remember correctly. Have win 7 and win 8 images available. If I remember correctly, you bring it in as a role. (been about 2 years since we did it)

Top Bottom