All things related to the Sony Playstation platforms

Watch out for those malicious messages though

Watch out for those malicious messages though
Ya I head about those, I guess Sony fixed it now though.

I got a check in the mail from Sony for their PS3 lawsuit. Wasn't much ($10) but free money is free money.

Microsoft is just the sneaky awesome company you hate. Sony fanboy...

We can argue all day. I understand that Sony overall has generally higher rated first party exclusive games. Will never argue that. My like of MS comes from the launch of the original XBox. Having a hard drive for saves and all that was HUGE. No more need of a memory card. It had some great games as well and was new. 360 was good except the hardware issues BUT you can't deny the PS3 had it's issues as well but they just didn't happen so fast. 3 red rings was a terrible mistake but the PS3 suffer yellow light of death.

360 had a pretty amazing lineup of games and the online service was/is superior. RPGs were really being pumped out but then for some reason stopped. XBox One is just continuing where 360 left off BUT MS still needs to bring more games. Anyway, it's just that you can try and "hate" on one system or the other but without the competition things would not be as good for all game systems as they are.

So what does this all mean? Sony is partnering with Microsoft to compete with the awesomeness of the Nintendo Switch? ?

Sounds like the PS5 is coming next Christmas.

I don't understand how this PS5 launching next year thing is news. Why did this just crop up all over the place? Wasn't this already known?

I don't understand how this PS5 launching next year thing is news. Why did this just crop up all over the place? Wasn't this already known?
First news I have heard about it? ? Honestly haven't heard all that much about the PS4 anymore. Seems as far as consoles anymore everyone just talks about the Switch.

First news I have heard about it? ? Honestly haven't heard all that much about the PS4 anymore. Seems as far as consoles anymore everyone just talks about the Switch.
I think you just change where you look for news depending on what you are playing. I still see plenty about Xbox and PS (in addition to Switch, all the mobile arcade and game streaming things, etc).
I guess maybe the news is that Sony confirmed it, but the rumors and generally knowing it was coming next year since the Xbox is, isn't new

I think you just change where you look for news depending on what you are playing. I still see plenty about Xbox and PS (in addition to Switch, all the mobile arcade and game streaming things, etc).I guess maybe the news is that Sony confirmed it, but the rumors and generally knowing it was coming next year since the Xbox is, isn't new
Haven't heard much about the Xbox as well, do you know the hardware specs on the Xbox? I know Sony is saying that theirs is quite powerful.

Haven't heard much about the Xbox as well, do you know the hardware specs on the Xbox? I know Sony is saying that theirs is quite powerful.
No one is giving specs, just vague things that sound "good" for any of the next gen stuff at this point. "Quite powerful" means nothing - no console coming out next year will be comparable to say an i9 with a 2080Ti, so they fluff things up.

Ran across a few other article headlines and keep seeing stuff about Sony hyping an SSD. Really? Is the general console gamer dumb enough to fall for this making a console great (or being an innovation)? The SSD better be some kind of M4 or better equivalent for throughput - no excuse for anything other than a 1TB (minimum) in any new consoles with the price of SSD today and the available space inside a console.

In reality the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X should have been released with SSDs as well. I run a USB 3.0 SSD on my X, because despite the more powerful processor and such, the internal drive is still slow. External SSD still increases load times on games drastically (as with any current console that supports them)

SSD is so 2015, like you said, should be standard. Most people install them in their PS4. I don't know I use to be such a big Sony fan. Honestly maybe it's just the time in my life, but I would rather use my Switch for the easy of going out on the couch.

Kinda old news, but the upcoming MLB The Show 20 will be the last console exclusive version of the game. Coming to other consoles by 2021, so I would assume the next gen releases starting a bit over a year from now will be found on other consoles. It is interesting that it is still a Sony owned studio, given their studio's almost never release on another platform. Though rumor of Horizon Zero Dawn releasing for PC are out there, and some job listings are fueling speculation that The Last of Us 2 will also be on PC at some point

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-sony-extend-video-game-partnership?utm_medium=theshownation-post&utm_campaign=theshownation-blog&utm_source=Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda old news, but the upcoming MLB The Show 20 will be the last console exclusive version of the game. Coming to other consoles by 2021, so I would assume the next gen releases starting a bit over a year from now will be found on other consoles. It is interesting that it is still a Sony owned studio, given their studio's almost never release on another platform. Though rumor of Horizon Zero Dawn releasing for PC are out there, and some job listings are fueling speculation that The Last of Us 2 will also be on PC at some point

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mlbpa-sony-extend-video-game-partnership?utm_medium=theshownation-post&utm_campaign=theshownation-blog&utm_source=Twitter
Interesting, didn't know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS5 specs released. Has faster SSD than the Xbox, so likely better load times - but pretty similar CPU between the two and higher GPU power on the Series X for likely better 4k and/or higher framerates. SSDs will only help people for as long as they have space, then both will rely on the expandable NVMe slots they have.

Will be interesting to see what the internet makes of them and how this manages to spin in Sony's favor (given larger fanboy base)

PlayStation 5

PlayStation 4

CPU

8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)

8x Jaguar Cores at 1.6GHz

GPU

10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)

1.84 TFLOPs, 18 CUs at 800MHz

GPU Architecture

Custom RDNA 2

Custom GCN

Memory/Interface

16GB GDDR6/256-bit

8GB GDDR5/256-bit

Memory Bandwidth

448GB/s

176GB/s

Internal Storage

Custom 825GB SSD

500GB HDD

IO Throughput

5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)

Approx 50-100MB/s (dependent on data location on HDD)

Expandable Storage

NVMe SSD Slot

Replaceable internal HDD

External Storage

USB HDD Support

USB HDD Support

Optical Drive

4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

Blu-ray Drive

Back