My WHS build

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry been wanting to put this up just have been busy. Ok i use to be running a Raid 3 setup, but decided that i need more flexibility in the future. Plus i wanted to try out WHS. I already had the case that wasn't being used. Plus the power supply that was laying around. I wanted this to be very energy efficient because it will be running most of the time. So i went with a AMD AM2 5050e 45w cpu. The power supply is also an Antec Earthwatts 500w. I also went a 5 port Icy dock enclosure. It was a last second purchase. Did I really need it? No since i already had 6 drive bays, but i wanted it to be easy to access. Plus i am a sucker for fancy lights. The build went real easy. I used my old Scythe mine that was laying in my closet and removed the fan so it could be passive. The cpu barely produces and heat. I had wished that the power supply was modular, but no since on spending more money when this one was laying around. The icy dock was awesome, so easy to add/remove drives. Plus it's whisper quiet. I had been around some louder enclosures before and was worried this one would be the same. After first firing it up and had to put my hand up to the back of it, because at first I didn't think that is was even running. I changed the default airflow of the Lian Li case also. It now goes Icydock 80mm sucks the air through the harddrives then blows it though the passive cooler then out the back of the Artic cooling 120mm fan. The system makes no noise at all except for the platter chatter of the harddrives. Just used a standard DVD-rom drive in since it will be a headless server anyways. After assembling then I loaded WHS. The load takes awhile longer than a default OS install. After installing I loaded drivers without any problems, then added the rest of the drives to the storage pool. After getting my data moved over and turning on duplication the drives will start to balance the data out. I had about a terabyte of info and it balanced in about a half day. I also have a terabyte external WD my book that the server backs up its self too though the WHS console. I will be adding another 1 terabyte WD green power harddrive later this week, since i used so much file duplication. Over all it was a fun build and am in love with WHS and what it can do. I will go into the add-ins i used for WHS later.

Specs:

Lian Li PC-101B case

Antec Earthwatts 500w power supply

Scythe mine cpu cooler

Artic Cooling 120mm fan

MSI  Ma78gpm-ds2h mainboard

4gig Crucial 800mhz DDR2

AMD AM2 5050e 45w cpu

Icy Dock 5 bay enclosure

DVD-rom drive

1x Samsung 750gig HD

3x WD 500gig HDs

WHS with PP1

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/3184547453_14ea850d8a.jpg

Visit my Flickr page for the rest of the pics here:

More Pics

I'm proud to have done my part in this (WHS).  Looks nice sir... I really like that bay thing.  Didn't even know you could get such a thing.  Giving a guy idears

I'm proud to have done my part in this (WHS).  Looks nice sir... I really like that bay thing.  Didn't even know you could get such a thing.  Giving a guy idears
Yes without my master i would have failed. It was well worth it sir. You need to get on the hardware side of things now.

Yes without my master i would have failed. It was well worth it sir. You need to get on the hardware side of things now.
Maybe one of these days.  I would like to either redo parts of my existing machine, or just build something newer and energy efficient.

Extra thanks to ndboarder for the software. Without it i would be running without an OS. :love:

1 terabyte is in!  :alien:

So i enabled UPNP on my WHS. Basically when I goto either my xbox360 or my PS3, i can now stream Music, Photos, and Videos. Some of the videos look like crap some look like dvds, depends on the encoding. Photos work great, and man the music is so awesome. I know it's because of my speakers, but i actually just sat there and listened to a few songs because they sounded so good last night.

So i enabled UPNP on my WHS. Basically when I goto either my xbox360 or my PS3, i can now stream Music, Photos, and Videos. Some of the videos look like crap some look like dvds, depends on the encoding. Photos work great, and man the music is so awesome. I know it's because of my speakers, but i actually just sat there and listened to a few songs because they sounded so good last night.
Have to get some vinyl going for the guy.  :ninja:

I actually listened to the .wavs that you gave me, they sounded just awesome!

I actually listened to the .wavs that you gave me, they sounded just awesome!
Thank you sir. There's more available if you so desire.

UPDATE: I pulled a 500gig drive out over the weekend. Was real easy, took maybe under 2hrs to transfer all 500gigs off and make it ready to pull out. Worked great!

Back