HTPC

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
For those of you that haven't seen one of these in action they are awesome! I think it would be right up davec's alley. You basically drop a t.v. tuner card into a Windows Media Center Edition computer and turn it into a all-in-one entertainment center. The t.v. part basically acts like a Tivo, pausing live t.v. and recording to your harddrive. But then you have all of your movies,music,radio,photos on there also. Anyways you just have to see one to see how cool it is. I wanna make one now but the wife would beat me. :oops:

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
They've been toying around with that at the office here, and also, davec's brother has been experimenting with it at his house. He said it works pretty slick!

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
They've been toying around with that at the office here' date=' and also, davec's brother has been experimenting with it at his house. He said it works pretty slick![/quote']
I figured it would be something davec would be into.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
They've been toying around with that at the office here' date=' and also, davec's brother has been experimenting with it at his house. He said it works pretty slick![/quote']
I figured it would be something davec would be into.
yup right up his alley. They were trying out different things to see how it would work with the FTTH overbuild.

tyler785

Members
Members
Maybe i should start a new post for this question, but it kinda falls in the same area. The problem is that my brother works for Cable One in fargo and he gets every channel they offer and alot of the PPV channels come through in Dolby 5.1. He would like to record these movies either on an external device or a computer in hopes of burning them to DVD in the future. But I have not been able to find anything that would alow you to capture 5.1 audio and then mux it with the video, or find a complete capturing product that would do this. :smt012

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Maybe i should start a new post for this question' date=' but it kinda falls in the same area. The problem is that my brother works for Cable One in fargo and he gets every channel they offer and alot of the PPV channels come through in Dolby 5.1. He would like to record these movies either on an external device or a computer in hopes of burning them to DVD in the future. But I have not been able to find anything that would alow you to capture 5.1 audio and then mux it with the video, or find a complete capturing product that would do this. :smt012[/quote']
Does the cable box or the cable signal carry 5.1 audio down it? I believe some of the video capture cards support it, I am almost postivie. When I get to work later i will check it out and post back here, but I believe they do capture 5.1 and dobly as long as the signal supports it. I will look into it.

tyler785

Members
Members
I believe his cable box will push a optical digital or the rca digital. right now he has it going to his reciever which recognizes the 5.1 and automatically switches to Dolby Digital.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I believe his cable box will push a optical digital or the rca digital. right now he has it going to his reciever which recognizes the 5.1 and automatically switches to Dolby Digital.
Well so far all I can find on the cards is "Digital Audio". I'm pretty sure like a ATI 550 chipset, or a Hauppauge pvr-150 will do it. Basically they capture the audio and video from the input. Example: a cable signal or satallite signal then it encodes it when it records it, then the output to the tv is based off of your sound card. There are quite a few that support optical out etc. Then it will shoot it back to the tv in 5.1. I believe that is how it works. I could be wrong but basically, the signal just flows though the computer and out to the t.v. I would like to confirm this because I have optical out etc, it's just the wife won't let me build one. :(