Let's talk about VPNs

VPN Pass-ThroughAllows VPN connections to work through the DI-604.

PPTP

Enabled Disabled

IPSec

Enabled Disabled

I also went in and verified that IPSEC service was started and set to auto.
So could you get though?
Not yet sire.  :smt011

PPTP

Enabled Disabled

IPSec

Enabled Disabled

So could you get though?
Did you foward the port to the correct ip?

PPTP

Enabled Disabled

IPSec

Enabled Disabled

So could you get though?
Did you foward the port to the correct ip?
Yes sir, port is forwarded to the correct IP. I see now under the vpn host properties general tab, it makes the statement that "no hardware capable of accepting calls is installed." One could argue that would be pertinent if dial up was involved?

Let me know if you get her up and running, i'm interested.

On the VPN host machine, I get a response from netstat -an as follows:

TCP    library6:pptp          66.163.144.**:4541     ESTABLISHED

TCP    library6:4001          66.163.144.**:4168     ESTABLISHED

Thats the remote IP. So, it looks like it's trying to get through. Still error 721. It could be due to the fact that the office has a Cisco Pix mapping an internal to a valid external public IP. The internal is on a different subnet than what the host vpn dhcp would hand out however. And if I remember correctly, the port opened for the mapped public was 4001. Dirty Pix.  :smt011

On the VPN host machine, I get a response from netstat -an as follows:TCP    library6:pptp          66.163.144.**:4541    ESTABLISHED
TCP    library6:4001          66.163.144.**:4168    ESTABLISHED

Thats the remote IP. So, it looks like it's trying to get through. Still error 721. It could be due to the fact that the office has a Cisco Pix mapping an internal to a valid external public IP. The internal is on a different subnet than what the host vpn dhcp would hand out however. And if I remember correctly, the port opened for the mapped public was 4001. Dirty Pix.  :smt011
The ports might be getting screwed up, but your IP and subnet should make no difference.  When VPN is connected you'll see your LAN device still with it's normal IP and another device will have an IP from the network you are connected to.  You gots junk turned off in your Windows Firewall?  You should really get asked, but I've seen it fail before, as I'm sure you have too.

On the VPN host machine, I get a response from netstat -an as follows:TCP    library6:pptp          66.163.144.**:4541    ESTABLISHED

The ports might be getting screwed up, but your IP and subnet should make no difference.  When VPN is connected you'll see your LAN device still with it's normal IP and another device will have an IP from the network you are connected to.  You gots junk turned off in your Windows Firewall?  You should really get asked, but I've seen it fail before, as I'm sure you have too.
I actually disable "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" on all my machines. I wonder if this would keep the windows dhcp server from allowing the VPN host to assign a IP to the VPN client, since I had dhcp set for incoming connections? 

I actually disable "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" on all my machines. I wonder if this would keep the windows dhcp server from allowing the VPN host to assign a IP to the VPN client, since I had dhcp set for incoming connections? 
You should still be able to run DHCP and still assign a static IP to a machine though. One will be static and the rest DHCP, that's the way i run at home.

A feller has the option for the host vpn setup to have it run dhcp or static assign client side. I reckon it could be on the same subnet as the lan provided the intranet you are remoting to isnt. We've seen some issues along those lines where it would route properly. Can't remember exactly why.

I asked the admin/bro the following:

Isn't there some known issues with routing if the vpn subnet matches or doesn't match the intranet you are remoting too? I've been doing some research on vpn's as of late. Trying to set up windows built in vpn host/client.

His response:

yes

for example, you would not want to configure a VPN on an Office LAN with the address of 192.168.1.0/24.  most home LANs run in that network so after a VPN connection is remotely established, the routing on the local machine (network) fails.  it thinks the VPN network is the local net.  by selecting something unique it lessens the chance of this occurring.  Example:  set the VPN concentrator (PIX) network to 192.168.162.0 or 10.131.209.0

Why do things have to be so hard? :smt102

Did you ever get your VPN working. I am so excited, i just got my WOL working on my server yaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! :-D

Did you ever get your VPN working. I am so excited, i just got my WOL working on my server yaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! :-D
I think the office PIX could prove to be insurmountable.

Back