Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Home Server Racks

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Seems like the internet is in a uproar after the latest Ubiquity update that adds a "call home" function.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
? What uproar is this, I has not seen. I had an update for my access points and switch over the weekend. didn't look to see if the controller software had any updates. I guess I would've always imagined there was some form of call home - at least from the network key devices since they give you remote access to manage through either apps or https://unifi.ubnt.com/

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Maybe this new device can start your UniFi network if you choose to go that route @nodle

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Maybe this new device can start your UniFi network if you choose to go that route @nodle

HAHA, I just came here to post it, beat me by 18 minutes. Ya a lot of people have been waiting for it. I am gonna read up on it. Seems like an all-in-one solution.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Geez only a 4 port gigabit switch?
Yeah, but how many do most people need - especially as a starting piece. I'm not surprised. It would be nice if it was PoE+ switch though, but my assumption is that they figure if anyone needs to expand beyond the one AP would need a bigger switch anyway, and would get a PoE+ switch at that point. Most any standalone wifi routers I had previous to my current setup only had 4 ports. I had to add extra switches in my network area and such.

On that same type of note, I ran 2 cat6 cables anywhere I wired network in my house so I'd have 2 ports. In hindsight, I really should've just done a single port. Either 1 is all I need, or I need more than 2 and I end up putting a switch in each room anyway to accommodate the number of wired devices.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
That's kinda what I am doing right now, I have a 10 port gig switch that splits form my 4 port built into my router. Once I started running Pi-hole, NASs and other things I ran out fast. I don't know, it's always for someone that wanted an all-in-one, but I was expecting something better. Like you said POE ports, more ports, a rack mount style etc. I do like the cloud key built in though.