Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

HoloLens & VR headsets

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Ready about it, find vids of it, etc. I'm pretty skeptical. Will be interesting to see if the people at the Win 10 event, who will apparently get to try it later today, have to say as far as if it actually works.

If it does work as well as they showed during the event, then I guess I need some new glasses....

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So if the next generation of people going to be wearing all of these glasses? I mean you got Microsoft now, Google, Steam, and even Facebook all in development.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Honestly, I don't see a huge consumer market for this stuff quite yet. Maybe for game immersion, but mostly they showed commercial applications.

When they started showing videos about holograms, I thought "great, show a few new features coming to Windows 10 that have already leaked anyhow, and now end this on a F***ing pipe-dream of never going to happen holograms".

But they supposedly showed on screen what a gal was seeing live when demoing the device. If they were at all accurate they are well ahead of where I thought they would ever be, especially with no prior buzz or leak of such a device.

As such:

1) I am curious to see what journalists have to say, since they will get some hands on with it today

2) Will the next generation all be wearing glasses? Who knows, but the biggest boom in this would be if they get the tech to a point of not requiring glasses in some way for consumers. Commercially I can see it being big in its present form (assuming it works as shown)

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Well remember how popular the Virtual Boy was. *chuckles. :ROFLMAO:
Except it isn't anywhere near that. How much hype has Oculus, Sony, etc had aroudn their VR headsets? If it works as shown, this is taking all of that a step further.

Not an entirely virtual reality, but putting virtual objects into reality. So, it's not a virtual desk with a cup of coffee on it, it's your desk and the cup you see is virtual....

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Looks more like a VR contraption (Oculus, etc). Where are your snide comments about Oculus or Sony's VR headsets that you cannot see though?
It's a joke people say it all the time like "Thanks Obama".

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Phil Spencer: "Partnering With Oculus VR Lets Us Focus On Hololens".

IBTimes: How will the Oculus Rift stream Xbox One games?

Spencer: It's really nice. It's a 2-D display in a 3-D world, so we're not turning all the Xbox games into virtual reality games. But the fact that you get a big screen -- the screen kind of feels like that (Spencer points to a giant projection screen at the event thats about 7 feet by 10 feet) -- and the fact that everything else is nonexistent, everything else is blacked out, your mind's eye is on the screen, it's really a nice, immersive, dark experience. And a lot of the guys back at the office, that's the way they want to play.

IBTimes: How will this partnership impact the Hololens, the augmented reality headset Microsoft announced earlier this year?

Spencer: This partnership allows us to focus on a space that's different from them with our Hololens, which has a lot of things still to be figured out. This partnership seemed like the right for me. The whole Hololens team sent me a picture -- they actually watched the briefing with the Hololens on, streaming the picture on the wall. It's like the most surreal thing, but they were all really excited about the show.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
The Oculus partnership makes sense for gaming. However, ideally they would just incorporate an ability to plug directly to the Xbox at some point. For now it sounds like it will be used on a PC and then you just use the game streaming feature to play your Xbox One games on the PC.

HoloLens is entirely different than Oculus/Morpheus/other VR. VR devices black out the rest of the world and basically just give you a "huge" screen because there's a little display inches from your eyeball. Hololens just puts things into your actual world. It could be awesome for games, but they would have to be especially created for the HoloLens and be made to just put character or objects into an existing space, where as VR devices are more catered to just showing you the same thing you already see on a TV just on a seemingly bigger display.