RetroPie - for those of us that never got a mini

You can build so many things that do exactly what the NES mini did and more.  You can get the NES classic to play other games with emulators too, but limited drive space (only 300MB).

Far more options and capabilities to be had and done on your own if you want to build something like this.   Of course you don't have the official look/feel of the NES classic and owning the rare hardware.  But you get more power and space so you can emulate pretty much any system.

Also, I would note that like the NES classic there are similar things that have been out longer for classic Genesis games and some other platforms (Atari, etc) that are easy to find in stores and provide a number of fun retro games for those that grew up on the NES/SNES/Genesis/Etc

Man setting this up is even easier than I though. I really like the standard usb NES controller with the normal buttons.

I24dqWo.jpg

Well ordered a Pi 3 kit this morning, also a 64gig micro sd card. Going to order bluetooth NES controller next.

Are you going with the 64GB image you posted about?  If so, you should consider something other than anything you've listed.  Assuming you play games from some of the Sega consoles or others that would/could require more than 4 buttons.

If you really want something for classic look, I would do the SNES that has the correct number of buttons for what the original was, or find classic looking NES one that only has 2 buttons.

Otherwise I would just connect a Xbox or PS controller up with all the buttons and bumpers.

Controllers buttons don't matter to much since you can map them. Never was much of a Sega man. Besides if I do build a system, I will only be playing Roms that I legally own the cartridge for, right? :) Ya I guess a PS3 controller a lot of people like, but I don't have any of mine anymore. I am thinking about the Famicon version of the SNES. But I will probably just get the one with the jog shuttle controls to cover about everything.

Controllers buttons don't matter to much since you can map them. Never was much of a Sega man. Besides if I do build a system, I will only be playing Roms that I legally own the cartridge for, right? :) Ya I guess a PS3 controller a lot of people like, but I don't have any of mine anymore. I am thinking about the Famicon version of the SNES. But I will probably just get the one with the jog shuttle controls to cover about everything.
I meant having enough buttons.  Some of the games they show on there (aside from PC) are from systems that have 6 buttons, or 4 buttons, bumpers and triggers.  Sure you can map buttons, I know, but if you don't have enough buttons....

Well I ordered up a controller. I went with the Classic Super NES Famicon version. I like the colors. I am like @jmanz and always loved this controller. I was going to get the ones with the little jog wheels, but they are out of stock till the end of the week, also I would probably never use them. Zelda a link to the Past soon...

Well I ordered up a controller. I went with the Classic Super NES Famicon version. I like the colors. I am like @jmanz and always loved this controller. I was going to get the ones with the little jog wheels, but they are out of stock till the end of the week, also I would probably never use them. Zelda a link to the Past soon...
Good choice for games from the old era up to SNES and such. Personally I like the Classic Super NES one. Maybe since it's what we had in the US growing up so like the lack of extra colored buttons.

Ya it was such a cool controller when it came out. We went from this sharp NES controller to this rounded edged soft feeling controller. I still remember when I first got my SNES. Mario was huge with the introducing of Yoshi, and those moving bright backgrounds on Mario.

Ya it was such a cool controller when it came out. We went from this sharp NES controller to this rounded edged soft feeling controller. I still remember when I first got my SNES. Mario was huge with the introducing of Yoshi, and those moving bright backgrounds on Mario.
Yeah I can still recall the first times seeing and playing the SNES. I think first a friend had it and had Final Fight and F-Zero. I remember him talking about getting it and our plans for me to sleep over the last day of school for me in 7th or 8th grade. All I could think about was going over to his house to play it.I also fondly remember when our dad let us rent the system and a few games from a local game store we rented from often. Super Mario World and ActRaiser were the first games we rented. The colors, graphics and everything were amazing. We finally bought one shortly after and that was awesome. We rented a lot of games for it from Final Fantasy 2, Sim City and others.

I was in the bedroom last night watching some Netflix and I realized how portable this little thing will be. With the tiny power supply, the lightweight small HMDI cable I bought for it and wireless and blue tooth built in I can basically move it anywhere real fast. If I want to do some lat night gaming in the bedroom and can just plop down and use the wireless blue tooth controller. Glad I went with bluet tooth over a corded version now.

So I got my little Pi the other day and decided to put it together. First off to think this is as powerful as it is for how small it is is mind blowing. I mean a gig of memory, quad core! Real easy to put in the case, no tools required. Put your little heat sinks on, it's passively cooled. Then burn your image to a sd card, this took the most time. I recommend using Etcher for your image burning. It verifies the image after the write to make sure it wrote correctly which took the most time. After that plug it in the back and then plug it in that's it! Boots like instant. I did have to connect my controller using the supplied USB cable he first time, you click left when it says left, you press A when it says A thats it then your mapped. Then I went to setting and click setup bluetooth and it detected my controller then I was done, literally that was it. So glad I didn't get a little NES this is 100% better and no I am not just saying that because I got one. You do the same and you will see. Btw the controller is amazing! Top quality feels just like the original, brought back a lot of memories.  Plus it feels so much better being wireless. I didn't get to much time playing, I fired up the Classic Mario, then hit some SNES games. I have the whole world at my hands. The menus, the music! AMAZING! Why are you still reading this? Go order one! I bet you end up putting away your little NES.

Back