Pi-hole - Network wide Ad blocking

I've seen a few folks lately mention that their default pi hole config was blocking clientconfig.passport.net, which was preventing their Xbox Live signin from working

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a few folks lately mention that their default pi hole config was blocking clientconfig.passport.net, which was preventing their Xbox Live signin from working
It could be, its real easy to white list addresses though. I think I did one once for Spotify. I have noticed Microsoft using some sort of "safelinks.protection" with their email now. Everyone should be running Pi-hole. It's basically a garbage collector for all the nasty stuff incoming and outgoing on your network. If you have smart tv and devices on your internal network you would even be surprised how much stuff tries to call home. I can't imagine not using one on my network. Plus you have no need for ad-blockers anymore etc. Look into it for how cheap and easy they are to build and put together (plus fun as well).

Found a neat little trick, if you SSH in, and type pihole -c you will get this handy little view.

agYdwAr.jpg

(yes that's mine)

Apparently you don't have to whitelist Spotify. There was a problem with the list. All you had to do was a manual update of the lists and it fixes the problem.

I think I'm gonna have to get one of these. You've detailed alot of interesting things about this device Nodle. It reminds me of Linux Squid but, it doesn't tie up a machine. Pretty cool.

I think I'm gonna have to get one of these. You've detailed alot of interesting things about this device Nodle. It reminds me of Linux Squid but, it doesn't tie up a machine. Pretty cool.
I would first thing, they are dirt cheap, there are so many things you can do with them as well besides pi-hole. I have another brand new one sitting right here. Some examples:

But if anything get pi-hole on your network. You will be surprised how much junk is trying to call home and just track you. From your TVs,refrigerator, dishwasher etc. But mainly it removes all those ads all over the internet and makes your interent faster since it doesn't have to download and render them all. Pus with all the recent bitcoin mining scripts all over websites, its a whole new world out there.

Canakits are good that is what I have. The one you posted is the full kit, I just bought the basic kit since I already had micro sd cards and reader.This is the kit I purchased:

Amazon

The free cases they include are decent, but for my other kit I went with C4labs. They make some awesome kits. Amazon also carries them as well. This video will walk you though from start to finish installing Pi-Hole.

Make sure to update your Pi's OS every once and awhile as well:

First, update your system's package list by entering the following command:

sudo apt-get update

Next, upgrade all your installed packages to their latest versions with the command:

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to switch DNS yesterday, the one I had been curently using had a big DOS attack, went with Cloudflares 1.1.1.1

You know for you guys that don't want to set this up (either to much work or to complex for you to do) you can secure your home network pretty easy by running your traffic though a secure DNS. I swear i posted this before. But anyways it's fairly easy to do. If possible log into your router and change your primary and secondary DNS there so any device on your network that connects to your router will pass DNS queries though it. Basically these DNS companies (there are quote a few like Comodo, Nortons, etc.) blacklist known sites or malware so you can't even travel to them. This would be great for a families home network or your parents. Quad9 is a great one to use. This is a little off topic since Pi-hole ha the ability to use these DNS as well, but it works differently.

I have been back lately messing around with my Pi-hole. Thinking about maybe installing Cloudflared for my upstream DNS it to support DoH. I did find one neat thing that our Synology has DoH from either Goolge or Cloudflare built into them now.

I wanted to post this here in case someone else runs into it. If enabling DoH on your network, it will encrypt your DNS queries and bypass Pi-hole. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't catching anything, I thought it had something to do with the new v5.0 update, but it was because I enable DoH in my Firewalla.

Back