Has anyone else been tempted by Mac's lately?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I've always been a hater when it comes to Mac, but in one of my previous positions, I dealt with mac's a little, and honestly their Laptops are some of the nicest, and cleanest looking machines. A lot of nice features wrapped into a sleek package.

That being said, I still don't think I like the OS, but I could get used to it, heck it's based on the linux kernel these days. Ane then I saw the new Mac Book Pro (link below) which runs on Intel processors, and we all know the other Intel Mac's have been converted to run XP. Being semi in the market for a laptop it sounds tempting, but of course for the cost of a Mac book.....

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
NEVER! Don't go over to the dark side. I will give Apple credit for their looks, and the Ipods. We have a Mac guy here at work and he got windows up and running on one of their new laptops. But I know I will never buy one.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I like the new commercial about the viruses on pc's compared to mac's I saw on tv last night. It was making fun of how pc's get all these viruses compared to mac's. I love how they try to keep the mac viruses all quiet.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I like the new commercial about the viruses on pc's compared to mac's I saw on tv last night. It was making fun of how pc's get all these viruses compared to mac's. I love how they try to keep the mac viruses all quiet.
yeah, i just saw that last night too and thought it was a good one, but from articles I've seen lately it's being predicted that the new intel mac's will be targeted quite a bit more... probably by upset lovers of traditional power PC macs...

Anyhow, I don't think I'll ever buy a mac, but I applaud them for their laptop design... I'd love to see a PC manufacturer come out with something designed similarily

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
yeah' date=' i just saw that last night too and thought it was a good one, but from articles I've seen lately it's being predicted that the new intel mac's will be targeted quite a bit more... probably by upset lovers of traditional power PC macs...

Anyhow, I don't think I'll ever buy a mac, but I applaud them for their laptop design... I'd love to see a PC manufacturer come out with something designed similarily[/quote']

Agreed. The simplicity to their designs, is what is keeping them in business.

tyler785

Members
Members
yeah' date=' i just saw that last night too and thought it was a good one, but from articles I've seen lately it's being predicted that the new intel mac's will be targeted quite a bit more... probably by upset lovers of traditional power PC macs...

Anyhow, I don't think I'll ever buy a mac, but I applaud them for their laptop design... I'd love to see a PC manufacturer come out with something designed similarily[/quote']

Here is a link where you can watch all of the commercials.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I just became aware today that Apple has released a free software called Boot Camp for the Intel based Mac's which allows the installation of XP. It looks to me like it sets it up as a dual boot machine which is cool, run XP and play with OS X. According to their site the newest version of OS X, Leopard, will have this feature built in.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

I also read an article yesterday that compared one of the new 15.4" Macbooks to a similar Acer laptop. They were pretty even in most tests, the Acer won on photoshop and such programs against OS X, but the Mac running XP beat the acer in most cases it seemed. Basically it's a toss up in performance since they had nearly identical hardware. (The mac did cost a little more though, but then again it was an Acer laptop, I wonder what a similar IBM would cost?)

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya saw that boot camp a few weeks ago. Like I said our mac guy got it running on a new mac down at work. It was ok, but I will still stick with a PC.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
It tempts me just to see how well it would work and for comparisons, although it would be a spendy test machine. Just interesting materials out there to read now that Apple switched to intel and made actual comparisons possible.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Yes I believe they made a smart move switching to Intel also. I think this was the move they needed to make with their processors. Our MAC guy has been impressed with them. We have gotton both the laptops and systems in with the new processors, he seems to like them quite abit.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Yah, I believe the switch to Intel will prove very profitable, especially when they allow windows to run on it. This way they are in more of a market to compete with PC manufacturers on a hardware basis as opposed to having to sell both their hardware and OS as a package. From what I've seen on Apple's site the Intel processors outperform their Power PC counterparts.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Buy that Mac and throw Gentoo on there.
I don't think it will let me do that. Bootcamp strictly lets you install from an XP SP2 cd. Nothing older that needs updates from what i understand (well SP2 still has updates, but you can't go pre SP2)... besides OS X is based on FreeBSD and I already have 2 gentoo environments, but if i could I would

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Rather than starting a whole new topic, I figure I'll just go back to this one for now.  SO I've had this macbook for a while now and I have to say i'm happy with it.  Granted I probably could've gotten a similar non-Mac and ran vista on it just as well as the macbook does.  Lately Vista has been acting up every few days, but I discovered I have some junk on there that I need to clean up, or re-install vista we'll see.  Anyhow... lately in preparation for Web Development type stuff I've been toying around in OS X the most I've done since purchase.  I have to say that once a person gets a little used to where things are and such it is a pretty nice OS.  Like your sidebar in Vista?  Checkout the Dashboard in OS X and you'll be able to guess where it came from, plus I think the dashboard is more useful.

Now then, I am not a big gamer, so I don't miss such things in OS X.  For my general purposes of say SSH to my linux box, Web, messenger, email, and eventually development, it has about everything a guy needs.  I wouldn't want to go 100% OS X, but I've grown to think more of the OS than I ever thought I would.