Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Gun safes

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Anyone have one or can recommend one? I always see them in stores and have looked at them here and there. I see deals on them every once and awhile, but it would be nice to be able to store all the rifles,handguns, and ammo in one spot. I have even been looking online to build your own. Some guys use those big truck boxes, but for that price you could just by one.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Here's something I would seriously look into: https://www.snapsafe.com/faq

It's a modular safe; benefits over a regular safe is first and foremost, not only can you put together and take apart to move around if needed, but they claim theirs are harder to get into thus being more secure. (And no, being able to put together or take apart has to be done from the inside, does not give it a weak point).  There's a video of them doing a demo on a "regular" safe and able to bust into via the hinges with large breaker bars.  The fire protection is also at a very high rate due to some carbon fiber composition they use.  

This has been reviewed on multiple gun review sites going several years back and gets very positive reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Cool stuff but dam dem prices! I would like to put it out in our garage, maybe use come concrete bolts and bore down in the concrete so that you couldn't get it out. I see a lot of guys using these. They sell these all over the place and what is neat is the way the locks go in, no one can bolt cut them. The problem is they are almost as expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Looked at some safes at Costco. The had two there, a larger one for $499 and a smaller one for $399. They weren't to bad. They had pass though electrical outlets and usb which I though were cool, in case you wanted to lug in a light or DE-humadifer etc.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Looked at some safes at Costco. The had two there, a larger one for $499 and a smaller one for $399. They weren't to bad. They had pass though electrical outlets and usb which I though were cool, in case you wanted to lug in a light or DE-humadifer etc.
You mean in case you wanted a fire to pass through to your valuables?  :D

Personally, I would never combine anything such as a gun safe with electronics like that (the most would be keypad or biometrics, but even those I don't like as they can fail, even the slightest chance).

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
You mean in case you wanted a fire to pass through to your valuables?  :D

Personally, I would never combine anything such as a gun safe with electronics like that (the most would be keypad or biometrics, but even those I don't like as they can fail, even the slightest chance).
Most gun safes aren't going to protect from a fire or such anyway are they?  I guess I've never though of a gun safe as something that was supposed to keep the gun safe from fires - just as a way to lock them up to prevent unwanted access by children, guests, intruders, etc

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Most gun safes aren't going to protect from a fire or such anyway are they?  I guess I've never though of a gun safe as something that was supposed to keep the gun safe from fires - just as a way to lock them up to prevent unwanted access by children, guests, intruders, etc
No most of the bigger ones are not only to keep people out but to protect from fire. The lower range is about a half hour fire protection time, while medium is an hour and upper ones are 2 hours. But the 2 hour ones are the big boys, you will need a fork lift to move them.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
No most of the bigger ones are not only to keep people out but to protect from fire. The lower range is about a half hour fire protection time, while medium is an hour and upper ones are 2 hours. But the 2 hour ones are the big boys, you will need a fork lift to move them.
Seems like a waste of resources to bring in a huge safe of that degree to only offer 2 hours of protection to protect something as meaningless as a gun.  Unless you are a collector with guns worth their weight in gold who cares.  If you just own firearms for hunting or self protection who gives a shit - let it burn and buy a new one after the insurance check clears.  The only reason I can see for a gun safe would be to keep unwanted hands off of the guns.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
My message didn't post from my phone originally hours ago.

Anyways, was going to say, my comment was a little in jest on the outlets shorting or conducting electricity through, causing a fire inside the safe.  Most safes are mediocre at actual fire proofing.  Most just use drywall, with the purpose of keeping the inside cool at a certain outside fire temp for the rated time.  At 350 degrees, paper documents discolor, at low 400s, they start on fire.  Correct me if I'm wrong, fires don't sit in one place for the whole time, they kind of sweep through slowly in a house?  The hope would be that the safe is only exposed to the fire for 30 minutes or so.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well one thing that I know that I want to go with is a regular mechanical lock and not one of the push buttons ones. They seem cheap to me and seems like they would be easy to break. Can't go wrong with an old dial lock type.