How long should people work?

WayneKerr

Reaction score
What is the appropriate length of a person's working career?

At what point should a person retire?

At what point should a person no longer expect to work as a full time laborer?

I'm amazed at the amount of retirement eligible and appropriate aged people that continue to work in this area.

Our system supports an over worked mentality that burns people out. We dedicate most of our lives and time towards doing mindless stuff with not much motivation other than a paycheck.

To answer this, I would say 20 hours per week in their entire career towards a job away from home, where as they would then spend the rest productive time with their family for self sufficiency and leisure. This would dramatically lessen burn out and actually create a happier more productive society. Of course, one would like to argue against this as some people would get lazy and utilize their time for no good.

Most people work too much. Everything we do is for work. We wake up so we can shower, eat, get dressed, other tasks then drive to work. We then work. After that we drive home from work to get undressed from work clothes then relax so we don't go crazy which is only so we can stay sane and keep our jobs. We then sleep so we are not too tired to work our jobs. Repeat until weekend so we get a bigger break to catch up on yard work, clean house and other stuff we don't have time for during the week. The break is also again so we don't go insane.

As for retirement, too many people don't save well for retirement and thus must work longer than they would like to should.

I've met people recently that are retiring their late 80's. I'm shaking my head thinking that a) holy shit, I'd go mad! b)That isn't what retirement is. People that would have kept working if they good.

It is a shame "we" have bastardized the "right to work" concept. If we expressed "right to work" at face value, we could take about right to live/retire...whatever the opposite is.

It just struck me as odd, that someone would work so long, to "retire" so late.

I really need to get on a computer so I can fully type. But you know my stance and we work way to much. I just read last week Sweden or somewhere dropped work hours to only 6 hours a day and productivity is up. I think 6 hours a day and 3 days off per week should be standard. The town I'm visiting, just listening to all these businessmen around here talk I wonder if they really know how much they are wasting their lives? They are literaly speeding up time by being so pre occupied trying to make money. They phase "stop and smell the roses" they don't know what it means. As for retirement, good luck with that. This generation won't see it, neither will ours. Enjoy the time you have now folks.

Back