Call 911, Get Murdered

In ND if you are constitutionally carrying a concealed, you must inform upon contact with an officer. (August 1st) This is when you are then shot. 
I think this is actually a bad thing.

I think this is actually a bad thing.
I agree. Better to keep one's mouth shut and face the misdemeanor. Beats the heck out of a slug to the guts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they would go back to being peace officers and stop being scared of their shadows while they are at it. 

In ND if you are constitutionally carrying a concealed, you must inform upon contact with an officer. (August 1st) This is when you are then shot. 
Not if you have a permit however.

Are you sure? 
I read that if you have the permit, you are not required to mention it to the officer.

Might be a good idea to get a permit then. I think I shall do that. 

Might be a good idea to get a permit then. I think I shall do that. 
Maybe look it up just to make sure I'm right but I'm pretty certain about it. It caught my attention.

I read that if you have the permit, you are not required to mention it to the officer.
Oh well this makes a big difference. I forgot you don't need a permit there. So I guess I am ok with them informing the officer. I thought it meant with the permit. With the permit you should never have to.

Speaking of which, I need to renew mine next year. Time flies.

I don't think we should have to inform them if you factor in the fifth amendment. Technically you don't have to answer any questions or make any statements. 

I don't think we should have to inform them if you factor in the fifth amendment. Technically you don't have to answer any questions or make any statements. 
I agree, but at least you get to carry with a permit, that is better than even here. I agree with the fifth, if we could live in a perfect world then you wouldn't have to say anything. But I guess you should be thankful for what you get this day and age.

If an officer asked me, I would be ok with telling him I do. Most officers will show you respect if you just respect them as well.
Unless you are in Minneapolis? 

I would argue that they consider asserting your constitutional rights as disrespectful. For example "right to remain silent" is seen as hindering investigation. "uncooperative" Anytime they stop you they are looking for incriminating materials. Staying silent is in your best defense along with no consent to search. Also, audio and video recordings are a must. When there is policing for profit, the rules have changed. See civil asset forfeiture. They use those monies to fund their operations. 

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say,"

Unless you are in Minneapolis? 
Perhaps location is something to take in consideration. Know your community and the officers if possible. Or at least what you can and can't get by with. Small town USA can be very different than big city. Longmire has a gentler touch than the Minneapolis officer in question ;)

Back