Gigabit network

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these setup at home? I think I am gonna set one up, 100mbps is too slow for me to do transfers.

If a feller moves DVD iso's to a central storage unit I could definitively see the need there. In machine to machine transfers without utilizing ramdrives, best I've been able to get was 280 megabits per second (PCI or PCI-E bus limitations). Both machines raid 0 (marvell gigabit / nforce 2 & 4 MB)

I am just backing up all my stuff to my server. But transfering over 400gigs over 100mbps is just taking way to long, I just want to have the convience of not having to wait hours for it to complete.

I am just backing up all my stuff to my server. But transfering over 400gigs over 100mbps is just taking way to long' date=' I just want to have the convience of not having to wait hours for it to complete.[/quote']That's a pile of data. :LOL:

What should a feller get for switches? I've been searching newegg for the right price/performance ratios. It seemed to me that the prices on those units have gone down over the last couple of years. I need two of the Devils.

Features:

Five 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet ports

High-speed, auto-sensing, full-duplex connections

Supports PC or Macintosh O/S

Sturdy, space-saving form factor

Silent operation for a peaceful work environment

256K On-Chip Packet Buffering

Features:Five 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet ports
High-speed' date=' auto-sensing, full-duplex connections

Supports PC or Macintosh O/S

Sturdy, space-saving form factor

Silent operation for a peaceful work environment

256K On-Chip Packet Buffering
I didn't read it close enough it would seem. :oops:

Well I ordered it, so i will let you know what I think of it. I normally buy Linksys products, but I love their metal case stuff.

Well I ordered it' date=' so i will let you know what I think of it. I normally buy Linksys products, but I love their metal case stuff.[/quote']Yeh that style of case looks pro-like.

Well got the network up. Its a nice product with plenty of display lights. It dropped my transfer rate from a day and like 7 hours to only 2 hours. Can't beat 1000mbps. 8)

Ya should speed things up a little. I move some fairly chunky wav files around. 96k 24 bit wav files take up mundo space. I'm going to designate a central unit that has a M-audio card as sole audio cd/wav player. Gonna covert all my cd's and albums to wav and run playlists and what have you. Ordered up a couple of 250 gig hitachi drives as well to fit it all on. There should be a 10 step program to get us off the newegg addiction.

Ya should speed things up a little. I move some fairly chunky wav files around. 96k 24 bit wav files take up mundo space. I'm going to designate a central unit that has a M-audio card as sole audio cd/wav player. Gonna covert all my cd's and albums to wav and run playlists and what have you. Ordered up a couple of 250 gig hitachi drives as well to fit it all on. There should be a 10 step program to get us off the newegg addiction.
You sound just like me. It's tough it's not that I really "Need" new stuff, but their website is like looking at a Sears catalog at christmas time when you were a kid. Sounds like you are really into your music quality. How many gigs of music do you have now? I'm pushing almost 200gigs of MP3s now. I've heard alot of people talk about the M-audio cards, they are suppose to be deluxe.

You sound just like me. It's tough it's not that I really "Need" new stuff' date=' but their website is like looking at a Sears catalog at christmas time when you were a kid. Sounds like you are really into your music quality. How many gigs of music do you have now? I'm pushing almost 200gigs of MP3s now. I've heard alot of people talk about the M-audio cards, they are suppose to be deluxe.[/quote']I guess I don't have too much in mp3 format. Probably around 6 gigs worth. I have around 80 vinyl records that I want to convert to 96k 24 bit wav. The top end sound, really silky in that format (it's almost a 1:1 copy of the vinyl without the cleaning hasles and wear. Usually takes about 1.5 gigs per album. Next to convert the CD's to wav (16 bit 44.1k) which weigh in around 500 megabytes per CD. Ya the M-Audio aren't too bad.

Back