What's new

GE is phasing out CFL bulbs

nodle

Administrator
Good to hear. They were a good bulb of the time but l.e.d.s are the way to go.

Someday soon, your home will probably be lit by the glow of LED light bulbs. The transition is already taking place, but GE wants to see it happen even faster. This morning, it's announcing plans to phase out the sale of CFL bulbs in the US over the next year as it begins to position LED bulbs front and center. That means the next time an energy-conscious consumer goes looking for a light bulb from GE, they're going to pick LED.
Source

ndboarder

The Cree LEDs you can purchase seem fairly reasonably priced.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-A19-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-with-4-Flow-Filament-Design-BA19-08027OMB-12DE26-3-1/206413899

About $8 / bulb, which sure is double or more the price of a decent incandescent bulb, but given the lifespan these should have it's money that should be well spent.  I put Cree flood lights in the 5 recessed fixtures in our kitchen ($15 a bulb or so I think), and have been replacing other bulbs throughout the house with the dimmable 60W bulbs from the link above as needed.  I also replaced 3 normal fixtures in the garage with fixtures normally holding the fluorescent tube lights - except I got some LED tubes  instead (4 per fixture).  Way more light and while even the coated heavy duty incandescent bulbs would burn out quickly in the garage and fluorescents don't like cold, the LEDs have no issues and I shouldn't ever have to replace the bulbs more than once.

ndboarder

Just watch for sales. I picked up some name brand ones here for $4 each 60watt on sale at local ACE store.
This is good advice - and for just replacing bulbs that are either on/off works great.  The tube lights I got were from Costco - not cheap, but cheaper than any I found online.  If you have a need for dimmable though, I suggest looking for Cree.  It's been a number of months (maybe closer to a year) since I did my research, but they were the best dimmable LED at the time.  As part of my home automation stuff many lights in the house are on dimmable switches, so I've stuck with them for the most part.  Consistent lighting then as well, since different brands may give off different tints.

nodle

Administrator
I need to get two more 4 foot cold start shop lights for my garage and was joking with my dad that they should make l.e.d. ones. I come home and look at Amazon and sure enough they do. Thinking about maybe going this way, but they are about double the price as the cold start ones.

ndboarder

So are they just led inserts or is the whole thing led?
The whole thing is an LED.  Just a 4ft tube LED bulb that you put in rather than the normal fluorescent bulbs. 

ndboarder

The ones I have seem plenty bright.  The supposed specs: Energy Used - 17 Watts, Light Output - 1700 Lumens, Life - 50,000 Hours, Lasts Up to 45 Years, Color - Cool White

Way brighter in my garage with these than before - but I put up 3 fixtures and each has 4 of these bulbs in it.  I never had fluorescent in the fixture for comparison and with that many bulbs it is going to be a lot brighter than the previous 3 incandescent bulbs.  

The best part is they are direct replacements.  Nothing to retro-fit into the fixtures, no extra spacers or other garbage.  They are directional as far as installation though.  The top half of the tube (length wise) doesn't really let light through and likely has a reflective surface inside, and the bottom half is translucent, so you do have to pay attention to which side is facing up/down when you install the bulbs.   You'd still get light, but wouldn't be as bright if installed the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Administrator
I ended up picking up another 4' section of light for the garage. I just need one more 4' section now to complete the bench. I just went with the cheaper standard cold start florescent one.

nodle

Administrator
Picked up the last 4' section now that they got them back in stock again. So that part is still complete.