The shaving thread

I quit shaving. I just let it go for a few months or more and then break out a trimmer to cut it down fairly short and start over....

Bumping this old thread as I recently switched to DE safety razor shaving and love it.

I will admit it does take more work but it's almost a hobby and an art. A good shave feels good. I really like the feel of brushing on the lathered shaving cream. So many different razors, blades, soaps and other items/accessories one can get and try. I have 3 razors already and looking to buy another. The first was one that came in a starter kit I got from stirling. It is decent but I read that a Merkur 34-C is a better beginner razor so got one and had an amazing shave. I also got a Merkur slanted razor to try but I really want a high end model from Rockwell in the 6S. There are also so many different blades to try out as some work better for different people and facial hair and skin types.

Smells so good and I like the creams/soaps so much better than the cheap canned shaving creams. So many I want to order and try there as well.

I remember going through this stage, glad you switched, Merkur makes great stuff, that is what I had. I still have mine with tons of blades (can't beat German engineering). Did you get a badger hair brush as well then? I see you mentioned the soaps.

I remember going through this stage, glad you switched, Merkur makes great stuff, that is what I had. I still have mine with tons of blades (can't beat German engineering). Did you get a badger hair brush as well then? I see you mentioned the soaps.
Amazing shave this morning! I am using a Feather blade. I started my first few shaves with a Shark but wasn't as impressed with it as the Feather. For brush I just got a synthetic from Fine. I read different opinions. Some say badger are better and some say synthetic is better. Suppose I will venture to try a badger as well eventually.I ordered a starter kit from Stirling like I said so their soaps. Executive man is my favorite scent along with their post shave balm and splash. I also got some pre shave bath and shave soap bars as well. I also ordered some Thayers witch hazel to use after my shave. Lastly in the kit was an alum block to use right after the shave to tighten up the skin and help close the pores. It stings a bit but helps.As for soaps I pretty much want to try anything and everything. Barrister and Mann gets mentioned a lot. Same for Paraso and others. Oh, I actually did order some better creams a while back that I used with my cartridge. Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandelwood and The New York Shaving Company Elizabeth Street Shaving Cream. Both are amazing. They are creams and not a puck but work so much better and smell better than any canned cream. I also got a soap/cream from Stirling that is not a cream nor a puck. It's a thicker paste type that you have to add a bit more water to and lather in the bowl it comes in. Same for another I ordered called Mitchell's Wool Fat. Heard good things about it.

You gonna move onto a straight razor next?

You gonna move onto a straight razor next?
LOL you never know but for now I'll stick to DE Safety razors and like I said I want a fancy expensive on like Rockwell.

I had a rough shave my 2nd and 3rd tries but all the others have been excellent.

Do it like Rambo and use a bowie or trench knife.

I had a rough shave my 2nd and 3rd tries but all the others have been excellent.
There is an "art" to it. It takes the right angle and the right amount of lube. I know with those types of razors you have to be careful on your top lip area.

I saw Target now carries Harrys razors. They look nice. They are monthly shave club, but just a tad more. Has anyone ever tried their razors?

https://www.harrys.com/en/us

wp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F11%2Fharrys-razors-2.jpg

Actually just signed up for the trail of Harry's, I want to see which is better theirs or Dollar Shave.

So I think I have had enough time to say which is the better razor between Harry's and the Dollar Shave Club. I think I like the head better on the Dollar Shave Club's razor better as it is easier to reach under my nose. But the actually longevity between the two Harry's has them beat. It's still not dull after many uses already I am almost up to 3 to 1 vs Dollar Shave Club's. So Harry's has them beat as far as quality goes. But Dollar Shave Club does carry more products.

Again an update I wanted to post each time I shave. Harry's razor blades are defiantly more sharper and last longer.

Ordered some aftershave:

81aXn3PKI5L._SX425_.jpg

Is it any good? @C Pav ?

Ordered some aftershave:81aXn3PKI5L._SX425_.jpg

Is it any good? @C Pav ?
I have never used Paraso yet as looking for complete sets of each scent to try but heard they are pretty good. My questions though is how do you grow a beard and shave at the same time? What exactly are you shaving?

I have never used Paraso yet as looking for complete sets of each scent to try but heard they are pretty good. My questions though is how do you grow a beard and shave at the same time? What exactly are you shaving?
Might shave the beard this weekend.

I took the beard off this weekend, and I must say that new aftershave is awesome. Great light smell and quality.

Canceled my dollar shave last night, might go back to Harry’s. Dollar shave raised the prices on their razors again.

@C Pav you still using your 24k gold plated safety razor?

Back