Windows 10

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone noticed there new Windows alert in the bottom right today letting you sign up for 10 for free. But Holy crap I didn't know it gets released July 29th! Get ready!

I just noticed that on a work laptop. Crazy

I still can't believe it's that soon. People haven't even gotten use to 8. :eek: Can you imagine all your co-workers that are going to click on that and have it pushed down? Hope you guys have some way to stop it. It's going to come down in a Windows updates. I wonder if you can roll back? Imagine how many people are going to do it then go "wait my machine looks all different"!

It's seriously getting pushed by updates? That's horrible. We do control those here but that could get ugly if something isn't configured right.

I don't think it's exactly being pushed out as a Windows Update. Granted I haven't read a lot on it, because I don't care how it gets delivered to my machines (plus most of mine are already on 10).

My understanding is the little app on the machine that gave you the pop-up will check compatibility. When it launches, it sounded more like it is that app than the actual Windows Update service that would download the necessary files for the updates.

I guess either way, the idea is you have to opt in to get the free update. If you want to keep running your antique Windows 7 (*cough* XP *cough*) then don't opt in to the free upgrade.

I don't think it's exactly being pushed out as a Windows Update. Granted I haven't read a lot on it, because I don't care how it gets delivered to my machines (plus most of mine are already on 10).My understanding is the little app on the machine that gave you the pop-up will check compatibility. When it launches, it sounded more like it is that app than the actual Windows Update service that would download the necessary files for the updates.I guess either way, the idea is you have to opt in to get the free update. If you want to keep running your antique Windows 7 (*cough* XP *cough*) then don't opt in to the free upgrade.
Can I upgrade my 3.1?

The last one is interesting.

Here Are the Features Windows 10 Will Remove When You Upgrade

In an interesting support note that appeared alongside today’s announcement about the July 29 launch of Windows 10, Microsoft has spelled out which features from previous Windows versions it will remove or deprecate when you upgrade. There are some expected entries—Windows Media Center, for example—but also a few surprises.

Here’s the rundown of deprecated functionality.

Windows Media Center. Microsoft announced a month ago that it had killed Media Center and would not support it in Windows 10. So this one shouldn’t be surprising: If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.

DVD playback. “Watching DVDs requires separate playback software,� Microsoft notes. But I assume any existing DVD playback software will continue running.

Desktop gadgets. Windows 7 desktop gadgets—a weird holdover from Windows Vista—will be removed when you upgrade to Windows 10.

Preinstalled games. The games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 (like Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts) will be removed when you upgrade to Windows 10 upgrade. New versions of Solitaire and Minesweeper (called the Microsoft Solitaire Collection and Microsoft Minesweeper, respectively) are available in Windows 10 instead.

Floppy drive support. If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the hardware maker’s web site to use it with Windows 10.

Windows Live Essentials (Windows Essentials). No, Essentials won’t be removed, thankfully. But the OneDrive application that came with Essentials will be removed and will be replaced with the “in-box version of OneDrive,� meaning the sync application. (A universal OneDrive app is coming later as well.)

Windows Updates. This is the most interesting one. In previous Windows versions, you could control how updates were installed. But those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically. Only Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to defer updates.

Source

I'm bummed that Windows Media Center is cut in 10, but was not at all surprised by it.

Desktop gadgets - does someone still use them? Also, while they are gone, there is likely an "app for that" for any of them someone might use. Now they will just be a pinned live tile in the start menu instead though (weather, news, etc).

Pre-installed games - they just aren't pre-installed, but you can still get them from the store - no big deal

Floppy drive support - not surprised here either. Plus they still work, the drivers just aren't pre-installed (reducing the foot print of the OS) - probably a good thing for the majority of people and a minor inconvenience for the few that might use them

Windows Live Essentials - kind of misleading, given it just replaces an older OneDrive application with the newer one

Windows Updates - this one I can see some being upset, but for the most part I welcome the change. I do not care if my machines are updated automatically, and welcome those of my family being updated so there are not a ton of missing updates anytime I have to work on someone's machine. In the business world where this would actually matter, that's why companies run Pro or Enterprise. If a company is using anything else, they are doing it wrong (and probably violating some terms of use anyhow)

Well since the RTM hit yesterday I just upgraded my work machine. Everything went fine. But man there are so many changes. Even the way they word things. Performance is snappier and the only real problem I ran into was I needed to update my video driver to display correctly. Besides that I will be playing with it today.

I've been running 10 for many months, but just got the update to version 10240 yesterday, which I guess is supposed to be the RTM build.

I've been running 10 for many months, but just got the update to version 10240 yesterday, which I guess is supposed to be the RTM build.
Yes the 10240 is the RTM. I also really like the new Windows activation feature using hardware ID. Basically won't bug you in the future on re-installs. Good for legal copies, bad for pirates. I have been playing with it and so far so good. Had to get rid of that stupid Cortana shit though. New IE is ok, but old people aren't going to like it.

Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

What do you dislike about Cortana? I like that I can give it some interests (types of news, certain stocks, etc) and get a quick view of current news/prices related to those things. I also like that it integrates with my calendar to let me know of upcoming events, and will get notifications for thigns I may need to drive to about when I should leave based on traffic - granted that kind of stuff may not show up or be at all useful without also having it on your phone.

I'm getting use to it now, after tweaking it some it's ok. Will probably load at home this weekend.

What do you dislike about Cortana? I like that I can give it some interests (types of news, certain stocks, etc) and get a quick view of current news/prices related to those things. I also like that it integrates with my calendar to let me know of upcoming events, and will get notifications for thigns I may need to drive to about when I should leave based on traffic - granted that kind of stuff may not show up or be at all useful without also having it on your phone.
I don't know I don't like the whole Siri thing either. The notification center is a direct copy from MAC and so is the task view button.

So basically it's new and you don't want to even try it out is what I get from that
Basically.9PJ84bu.gif

Well just got done loading it on my home computer. Went smooth as butter. Loaded it from a flash drive that I created. This was an upgrade, might try clean reload later.

Back