Finally a great oil filter idea!

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I have been looking at another new vehicle lately and when I saw screen shots of the engine bay of the new Subaru Crosstrek I was intrigued. So I Googled it and sure enough that is the oil filter right next to the oil fill. The drain plug is still on the bottom. But no more mess with the filter. Genius!

oqRMDqF.jpg

TclenAU.jpg

I'm curious as to how that works though. No gravity so has to be continually pumped up into it and then it "falls" or spills back down. To be honest, I don't see how oil filters do anything in their current state. Shouldn't filters need to be pumped through to actually filter effectively. I mean in one end out the other.

After all these years I finally have a car that has this. It's really a great engineering feat. This combined with my Fumoto valve makes changing the oil a breeze and you never spill a drop.

I'm curious as to how that works though. No gravity so has to be continually pumped up into it and then it "falls" or spills back down.
I don't know exactly how this works, but they must have figured it out. It seems like you shut off the car it is all dumped back down? When I go to screw off the oil filter for the oil change it is empty, except for a slight residue.

Isn't oil pumped through the engine constantly and thus pumped through the filters. If you look at the bottom of your filter, I think it's the little holes that the oil will flow into the filter, into the area that's filled with actual filter material. As more oil is pumped in, it gets forced through the filter, to the center and out the larger hole in the center?

Well, I know there is a little rubber seal in the oil filter that faces upwards in my case. I think this holds a little bit of oil. But as far as the Subaru goes, it must have a pre-pump on the oil before the car starts. I mean it's all instantaneous, but it must force oil upwards to soak the filter before ignition.

I just read that Subaru drains the oil after each shutdown, also found this video that somewhat covers it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTh4ANKri4I:42

Ah so I researched it. So, it is empties it'self after every shut off. I found this little device that will hold the oil better, I was interested at first, but not for the price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol thanks to @ndboarder I have been researching this stuff all morning now.

I was talking to my dad, and our shop mechanic about this little device. I would work quite well and would stop those dry starts. But at that price tag I can't justify it. $260 seems overpriced for what it is. It's probably because they are the only maker of the device. If it was around $100, I would spring for it.

I actually called into Baxter Performance and spoke with the main guy. I had a couple of questions and we talked about the adapter. I think I am going to order one.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on this. I almost ordered it today. But then I started to think about it, and if that anti drain back plug ever fails, it would be a bad problem. I read the guy said if it was to ever fail, it would fail open, but I am going to hold off for now.

Back