Filesharing on IPv6 networks

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I knew a tinfoil hat kinda of guy that said he was nervous of IPv6 implementation because "they" could track you down more efficiently.  He also said to peer to peer networks would be less safe.

Has anybody heard such a thing?  Or was this guy on the crack?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I haven't really heard that i have seen it within Vista though. I wouldn't be surprised though. Unfortunately as time goes on the noose is getting tighter and tighter. But there will always be ways the uses p2p. It's just the "average" joe isn't going to know how. But if you find out anymore feel free to post.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Well in my personal, and completely unprofessional (so don't blame me if you have an IPv6 addy, download something and find federal agents on your doorstep), opinion:  I don't see how an IPv6 address would be any easier to trace than an IPv4 address.  Unless of course with IPv6 they come up with a way to assign everyone their own personal address (a cyber social security number typer thing) in which case, I suppose they could sure trace that thing back to you in a hurry...

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well in my personal, and completely unprofessional (so don't blame me if you have an IPv6 addy, download something and find federal agents on your doorstep), opinion:  I don't see how an IPv6 address would be any easier to trace than an IPv4 address.  Unless of course with IPv6 they come up with a way to assign everyone their own personal address (a cyber social security number typer thing) in which case, I suppose they could sure trace that thing back to you in a hurry...

So what's really suppose to be the new benefit?

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
That is exactly the point. The IPV6 address is 128 bit vs. 32 bit IPV4. So, there'll be billions upon billions of addresses available. Every device would have it's unique IPV6 address arguably making less wiggle room we now enjoy behind wireless NAT devices when it comes to court cases.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
That is exactly the point. The IPV6 address is 128 bit vs. 32 bit IPV4. So, there'll be billions upon billions of addresses available. Every device would have it's unique IPV6 address arguably making less wiggle room we now enjoy behind wireless NAT devices when it comes to court cases.
Ah that clear it up.