Fidget Spinners

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
What is this new craze? Does anyone else think these are the dumbest things ever? Or maybe I am wrong?

ryanator

Mathematical
Sep 20, 2007
Just going through a fad, then will die down quickly.  Pertaining to the girl going to the hospital, just another example of a little kid putting something in their mouths they shouldn't, but they don't know better.  I had a classmate in 3rd grade swallow a quarter that did the same thing and had to be rushed to the hospital to get it taken out.  This comes down to not directing these things to kids under a certain age.

BR3W3R

Pretzel Junkie
Mar 6, 2015
There are different bearings you can get such as ceramic or metal. I have a 10 ball bearing it can spin for up to 5 minutes with one swipe. Its decently fun to just swipe and let it go and see how long and fast you can get it.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Apr 28, 2006
I'm on the "dumbest thing ever" bandwagon here.  Seems more disruptive than helpful from most of what I've seen.  THey may actually be helpful for some people (young or old), but seems they just got to popular and now are being more disruptive than helpful in school and work environments.  Seems a better way to focus might be to take a few minutes to solve a Rubiks cube when you need a disctraction

O-Tron

I ride on flats
Jan 12, 2007
I'm not in the classroom so I have no idea how it impacts the ability to focus in school. I've heard varying reports, but the majority have stated that it helps kids that have trouble focusing. I think our biggest problem in the education world right now isn't fidget spinners, but the focus on learning too much too quickly. When I was in Kindergarten a ton of time was spent on socialization and how you were expected to act in school and treat other people. Now we expect kids to be able to read and do math and a host of other things. I would argue that it's more important for them to learn how to focus, treat others well, and a couple other skills so that they can learn effectively later on, but maybe I'm also an idiot. 

Wow, I went off on a tangent there. 

Spinners aren't evil. Kids are. 

Wait...

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Jul 2, 2009
I'm not in the classroom so I have no idea how it impacts the ability to focus in school. I've heard varying reports, but the majority have stated that it helps kids that have trouble focusing. I think our biggest problem in the education world right now isn't fidget spinners, but the focus on learning too much too quickly. When I was in Kindergarten a ton of time was spent on socialization and how you were expected to act in school and treat other people. Now we expect kids to be able to read and do math and a host of other things. I would argue that it's more important for them to learn how to focus, treat others well, and a couple other skills so that they can learn effectively later on, but maybe I'm also an idiot. 

Wow, I went off on a tangent there. 

Spinners aren't evil. Kids are. 

Wait...
Sounds like something a "pusher" would say...Kidding.

I agree about the education system being a major problem. I also remember Kindergarten being about learning to share, play well with others, pick up toys after play time and other simple and beginner school activities. First grade then began learning counting and letters and then so on and so on. Kids weren't expected to be taught at home and just come in and show they know it already. Time isn't taken to work with kids of all learning abilities. Now if a kid isn't at the same level they are seen as lesser instead of being helped like they once were. Maybe I am wrong but that's how I see it.

As for the kids needing something to help focus. How? Is it just that everyone now has attention issues? I don't know. I have struggles at times concentrating and always have but I don't need to fidget with something to focus. I will say though I guess I can't single spinners out and say they are a major issue but they should not be allowed in class when the teacher is trying to teach. I know in my grade school days we had those slap bracelets, koosh balls and other toys but were not allowed them while in class learning.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
Sounds like something a "pusher" would say...Kidding.
10/10

How do you guys even remember Kindergarten? Shit I can't even remember high school barely any more. Shit when I was in school I never even heard of ADHD. It's all those damn vaccines am I right @Davidc? But seriously this didn't come about till like the 2000's. In my school if you didn't pay attention you would get yelled at. That's what kids needs these days not some ball bearing toy but a swift kick in the ass. Quit being pussies your little bastards, man up and get out there and play dodge ball, oh you got the wind knocked out of you? oh poor baby. No safe spaces when I was in school, the only safe space you had was when you were shoved in either a locker or a garbage can. ADHD what a crook, wait what were we talking about again?