Fertiizing your lawn

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I'm wondering if any of you fertilize your lawn? Before we moved I once bought a bag of weed and feed off the store at Walmart just thinking all fertilizers are the same. They are not though. There are different mixes for different type of soils or needs. Last year I bought 2x 50lbs bag of this local stuff called Super Iron Plus. It has a higher concentrate of Iron in it, remember Iron = green lawn. Plus it uses slow release Nitrogen. Another words it has a polymer plastic coating where it slowly dissolves into the ground and not all at once. The trick is to lay it down right before you get moisture. You don't want to through fertilizer on and let it sit, it will actually burn your lawn. Also your trees and especially if you have Aspen trees love Iron. In fact it helps with a disease they can get. I was impressed last year with the results though. My lawn because of the size of it takes about one 50lb bag to do it. I just use a hand spreader.  I got around my trees a little heavier. Then I used my other bag in the Fall and did the same thing. It's cheap lawn care with great results. If you want more growth you would probably want to go with a 16-16-16, but I am not looking for growth. They also make different blends for different seasons such as Fall etc. Does anyone else apply fertilizer?

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
For someone who used to give me a hard time about caring about my yard and lawn you sure seem to care and have researched it beyond what is normal.

Yes I do use fertilizer but my backyard is trash anyway. I will say this, make sure to apply evenly and don't over do it. One year had an issue where it was not spreading due to clumping up in the spreader so tried by hand with gloves and a bucket just throwing it. Well some spots got too much and I had funny patterns of greener lines and such.

I really would love to have ti done professionally once. Mainly because the back is a weed infested pasture like mess. Would love to remove it all, weed kill it and leave it to settle, lay down good new dirt and then reseed with good stuff but oh well.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well some spots got too much and I had funny patterns of greener lines and such.
I did this at our old place, I was using a push spreader and didn't remember where I had been. When the grass soaked it in I had lines that looked kinda like a baseball field. You could tell where I missed. That is why I use a hand spreader now. I brought my push one with me, but a hand spreader is the way to go, you won't get those funny patterns.

Mainly because the back is a weed infested pasture like mess.
I happens, and it is a work in progress. If someone doesn't keep up on it they will take over. Take for example our old place, the old people didn't take care of it and it took me about 5 years to get it under control, the last two years was the best it had ever looked. Same goes for the lawn here. Last year I spent a long time trying to get it under control. I would say that we actually have more verities of weeds here than back there. I have these one things called  Erodium cicutarium or "Stork beak". They are a bitch to get under control. Even a high concreted dose of Roundup would kill these babies. You got to get the root, and not part of it but the whole thing or it will just grow back. I will say our dandelions aren't as bad here as back there. Plus our dandelions are a different breed here. Still the best way is a plucker, I even kinda have fun doing it and hearing them "pop". But people are weird here with there dandelions, people don't like people killing them since they are good for the Bees.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
I did this at our old place, I was using a push spreader and didn't remember where I had been. When the grass soaked it in I had lines that looked kinda like a baseball field. You could tell where I missed. That is why I use a hand spreader now. I brought my push one with me, but a hand spreader is the way to go, you won't get those funny patterns.

I happens, and it is a work in progress. If someone doesn't keep up on it they will take over. Take for example our old place, the old people didn't take care of it and it took me about 5 years to get it under control, the last two years was the best it had ever looked. Same goes for the lawn here. Last year I spent a long time trying to get it under control. I would say that we actually have more verities of weeds here than back there. I have these one things called  Erodium cicutarium or "Stork beak". They are a bitch to get under control. Even a high concreted dose of Roundup would kill these babies. You got to get the root, and not part of it but the whole thing or it will just grow back. I will say our dandelions aren't as bad here as back there. Plus our dandelions are a different breed here. Still the best way is a plucker, I even kinda have fun doing it and hearing them "pop". But people are weird here with there dandelions, people don't like people killing them since they are good for the Bees.
Yes love picking them by hand with a weed digger and getting that "pop". Strangely satisfying.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Hand spreader over a push spreader because you don't remember where you've been... WHAT?!?!   How do you not know where you've been and also how do you remember better with a hand spreader that will cover a smaller area and leave less of an indication of what was covered.

I'd go with a push spreader any day, especially a drop spreader type.  Either way, you basically make a path around the perimeter first with any edge guard you need in place.  Then you just pick and end and start going down and back making fairly tight corners so that you overlap.  A lot of times I lower the amount it is broadcasting and just turn so the opposite tire is in the track of the other to ensure complete overlap

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well got my lawn fertilized today. Quite a bit of walking, just making imaginary lines. Now let's hope I get some moisture tonight to soak it in.