CryptoLocker

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Been reading about this one for a few days now. Quite genius. But also quite scary. This one is not fake like the FBI & CIA fake things. This is legit. Might want to read up on it in the link below.

CryptoLocker is a ransomware program that was released around the beginning of September 2013. This ransomware will encrypt certain files using a mixture of RSA & AES encryption. When it has finished encrypting your files, it will display a CryptoLocker payment program that prompts you to send a ransom of either $100 or $300 in order to decrypt the files. This screen will also display a timer stating that you have 96 hours, or 4 days, to pay the ransom or it will delete your encryption key and you will not have any way to decrypt your files. This ransom must be paid using MoneyPak vouchers or Bitcoins. Once you send the payment and it is verified, the program will decrypt the files that it encrypted.
iHSBdVY.jpghttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

Scary stuff. As each days passes and new technology news like this and other news related to technology comes out I more and more would rather never have any technology...or very little at least. I always look back to the "better days" and miss them when technology was "safer" and didn't take over our lives like it has now.

Living off the land looks more attractive everyday. I was about to post about it a week ago or so. I also read similar spam scams were around since the late 80's (not the fake FBI ones). At least it can only affect you if you were careless enough to open a link within a spam email which I never do and is easy to spot. Though the emails that come from a hacked friends account is the only one that one has to be really mindful of and might not be easy to spot.

I wonder if there is a way to counter these, maybe with a virtual drive or sandboxie? Though you'd have to know when to open the certain program or browser in the virtual instance.

The only thing that protects it right now is using Malewarebytes PRO. and Avira av. But that's it right now. If you use a online backup for your data then it's safe.

Back