Colorado's legal marijuana

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about this? Good idea? Bad idea? It's amazing the revenue that it's created in just one day. Here is my take. I personally don't see a problem with it. I think it's safer than alcohol. Plus for alot there are some medical benefits. Would I partake? No. But I think if the government was smart they would tax this just like cigarettes. If Colorado proves a point look at how much they could make. Also less crime and less jail sentences which also equals less tax dollars. But if they were to do that they would have to admit the war on drugs failed. What does everyone think?

isn't it supposedly the gateway drug? Give it a year or two and see how much of the state is over run with meth heads or crack addicts.

What does everyone think about this? Good idea? Bad idea? It's amazing the revenue that it's created in just one day. Here is my take. I personally don't see a problem with it. I think it's safer than alcohol. Plus for alot there are some medical benefits. Would I partake? No. But I think if the government was smart they would tax this just like cigarettes. If Colorado proves a point look at how much they could make. Also less crime and less jail sentences which also equals less tax dollars. But if they were to do that they would have to admit the war on drugs failed. What does everyone think?
I have the same feelings on each point you mentioned. I myself wouldn't use it, but I also believe it's safer/better than alcohol and some other hard drugs.

isn't it supposedly the gateway drug? Give it a year or two and see how much of the state is over run with meth heads or crack addicts.
This is a legitimate concern, and we will see in time.

I don't think it's a gateway drug as @ndboarderhas suggested. I think there are studies done that show marijuana is not addicting. (don't know for sure but when I Google it's looking that way). Now the other drugs that @ndboarder has listed are horrible man made chemical drugs and should never have entered society.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not against it I guess. I wouldn't be a participant and if it can in some ways make money and so forth, then I guess that's good thing. While you do have possible reduced crime/jail, I wonder how much that is, and how much it would be in comparison to DUI arrests, given I assume that even now that it is legal like alcohol, it is also still mind altering and can result in DUI's the same as alcohol as well.

I do wonder about the whole gateway thing. Take money out of the drug dealers hands by legalizing this and they'll start pushing something new...

So I am back from my trip to Denver and I thought I would write a quick write up on what I saw/thought of the place. First off I have never seen so many homeless and mentally ill people in all my life. I mean not just pan handlers standing on corners. I am talking about full sidewalks with home made cardboard homes taking up stretches. It was literally small communities. Sirens and police going constantly. But in the middle of this is high class business people walking all around. Full suits etc. We had to step over people just sleeping on the streets with no shoes on etc. in the middle of the day. We stayed at a pretty ritzy hotel and I didn't even feel safe walking around the blocks. I saw bicycle cops, motorcycle cops, transit cops etc. I wen't out on morning to get a coffee and saw a man showing in the middle of the fountain and start to strip his clothes off and start to preach, this was after I say cops handcuff some other guy. I was like "ya I am going back to my room now". Another strange thing I was the only one wearing a baseball cap. Apparently it's just not in style anymore? I found that real strange I never saw any other mean wearing them. As far as the marijuana thing, you could smell it walking down the streets. I counted 5 times that I could smell it there. Talked to some people and they were saying how their city has boomed with so many people moving in since they made it legal. Not just there but in the whole state also. I walked the streets of Vegas and Boston at night, but felt less safe there even in the day time. Not my style of town and wanted to get out of there. The whole town "stunk" literally. I could barely see mountain too. Mostly just looked like the plains. They had some good food places I will give them that. But I wouldn't go out of my way to move there. I feel sorry for people living that high and fast lifestyle.

When I come back from the Twin Cities I have a much higher appreciation for where I live, etc. I haven't been to Denver in years, pre-pot days. It wasn't that great.

-LK

I have been to Denver a few times and I can say that I feel like it's Butte, MT x 1,000,000. Same kind of vibe, just a lot more racial diversity.

Before the legalization or whatever - this was around 2002 I think - we were taking my little brother to a hospital there and you could just smell the pot on every street corner, everywhere you went. There was also just a general angry vibe there. I don't know how to explain it. I can only assume it has gotten worse though. I wouldn't go back to Denver if you paid me.

As far as marijuana's addictive nature and it being a gateway drug, it's a psychological addiction mostly. Your brain has cannabinoid receptors that only respond to THC, so our ancestors were all toking at one point. The problem is always moderation. After a short time you gain a pretty big tolerance which can effect you pretty heavily emotionally, if you're not careful. The toll of tolerance is also obviously in how you smoke it. When I did, I just used a pipe and bong for a really long time, and could definitely feel my relative physical health, particularly in my mind and lungs, declining. At this point you do naturally want to seek that same euphoric feeling without sacrificing your health, so you become more and more willing to try other drugs. Although now scientists are saying that ecstasy is more beneficial than previously thought. (I'd have to dig for my source, was on drudge a few weeks ago)

I managed to curb myself before doing shrooms, ecstasy (MDMA), cocaine, DMT, etc (which was around because of my roommates) - and I am thankful for that. I have a pretty high-tuned nervous system already, and I have already pushed the limits on what I think my brain can handle.

Depression is another issue entirely, but I would agree that alcohol is more dangerous because of its dangerous physical addictive properties as well as its greater capability of making you reckless/incapacitated and a danger to others, especially while driving.

2 cents

Seems a little too late to try to roll back legal channels while more and more states have legalized it.  I have no desire to use the product, but just tax it and call it a day.  At this point I can only imagine it going about as well as the Prohibition

Time for Sessions to pull his head out of his ass. They need to can that worthless recuser.

Seems a little too late to try to roll back legal channels while more and more states have legalized it.  I have no desire to use the product, but just tax it and call it a day.  At this point I can only imagine it going about as well as the Prohibition
I feel about the same was as @ndboarder on this. I mean you have already done it, you can't back out now. I am not one to use it either but come on, just leave it alone. In fact since they know they can never repel it, just embrace it and make it all legal and tax the shit out of it. Make some profit.tenor.gif

Well lets see how a whole country handles it with Canada's new laws.

Well it looks like the FDA just made hemp legal today. There is a lot of products that use this material, ropes etc. CBD oil is now legal as well. Which mean nationwide weed next.

Source

Back