Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Facebook hacking brains

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I have talked about this before, including the patents for cellular phones. Basically, he's admitting that there is something deeper not only on Facebook, Instagram, and other social media sites. Now you got to ask yourself who is really behind all of this and who sponsors it?

"The thought process that went into building these applications, Facebook being the first of them, ... was all about: 'How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?'" he said. "And that means that we need to sort of give you a little dopamine hit every once in awhile, because someone liked or commented on a photo or a post or whatever."

Parker said the platforms built a "social validation feedback loop" that exploits "a vulnerability in human psychology."

"The inventors, creators — it's me, it's Mark [Zuckerberg], it's Kevin Systrom on Instagram, it's all of these people — understood this consciously. And we did it anyway," Parker said.

In April, a former product manager at Google told "60 Minutes" how technology companies have mastered "brain hacking" to keep users' attention.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
He's talking about everyone's desire to be accepted or to have their ideas/thoughts/opinions validated or agreed with.  They prey on that desire with Likes and other features on the site.  Not really much different than the reaction button here on these forums, just reaching a much larger audience and reaching them across more and more platforms to let people know when something is liked or if someone they follow has posted something new.  Always something to bring people back and to give validation, and to sell ads....

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
He's talking about everyone's desire to be accepted or to have their ideas/thoughts/opinions validated or agreed with.  They prey on that desire with Likes and other features on the site. 
I understand that, but there are more psychological aspects to it than that. As an example, notice the overuse of the color blue?

There are more subtle hidden things than just the color as well. There really is a way to subconsciously make someone keep coming back for more and more. Just like them putting cocaine in the old Coca-Cola. There are more things at play here than just having a good feeling of someone liking something (which is part of it).

Last edited by a moderator:

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Seems to be the same as things always was but now just with technology and without actual in person human interaction. As kids didn't we want to be liked and have friends? Come Valentines day you hoped to get a card from as many other classmates as possible? As @ndboarder said, we just want acceptance. What has changed is how we go and get it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Seems to be the same as things always was but now just with technology and without actual in person human interaction. As kids didn't we want to be liked and have friends? Come Valentines day you hoped to get a card from as many other classmates as possible? As @ndboarder said, we just want acceptance. What has changed is how we go and get it.
Well, this kinda ties with all the social problems like I mentioned here as well.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
The way I see it is when you do Facebook and Smartphones, you are helping the NSA/CIA build a profile on you. Local agencies get access to same data and do parallel constructions. What you say and express now may be legal/acceptable but, in future administrations/generations it may not.