Explanations of technology!

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
This topis is for the explanation of technology. Ask questions and look for answers from others or just post how stuff works.

My question is about hard drives and data. Is it possible to recover and see what was on a drive if the following were to happen. If so please explain because I don't see how.

Let's say I have some data on a drive. I format the drive, fill it full of new data, format again, write zeros to the drive, format, fill full of data, rinse and repeat. If that original data can be seen I just can't fathom how.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that the original data couldn't be read. I believe that what happens is when you do a format of your drive, the data isn't fully erased until the next time a certain area of a drive is written over. So by doing a format and filling the drive completely again, the previous content of the drive should be lost forever.

I'll have to do some research and make sure I'm right about that, but seems to me this is what I read somewhere before.

EDIT:

I did a little looking quick and the above is about right. Formatting does not actually erase your data. It has to be overwritten. Think of a video tape that has recorded TV shows on it. The only way to get rid of the old show is to tape over it.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but I'm quite sure that the original data couldn't be read. I believe that what happens is when you do a format of your drive, the data isn't fully erased until the next time a certain area of a drive is written over. So by doing a format and filling the drive completely again, the previous content of the drive should be lost forever.I'll have to do some research and make sure I'm right about that, but seems to me this is what I read somewhere before.[/quote']

No you can still recover. I believe the NSA specs is seven times being written over and over. Trust me I have read many post, and I have been able to recover things that have been written over multiple times. I have even read about people breaking their platters into pieces, and still they say they can recover from that. The only true way from what I have read is Thermite.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
US Department of Defense 5220.22-M Clearing and Sanitization Matrix

a. Degauss with a Type I degausser

b. Degauss with a Type II degausser.

c. Overwrite all addressable locations with a single character.

d. Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character and verify. THIS METHOD IS NOT APPROVED FOR SANITIZING MEDIA THAT CONTAINS TOP SECRET INFORMATION.

e. Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character.

f. Each overwrite must reside in memory for a period longer than the classified data resided.

g. Remove all power to include battery power.

h. Overwrite all locations with a random pattern, all locations with binary zeros, all locations with binary ones.

i. Perform a full chip erase as per manufacturer's data sheets.

j. Perform i above, then c above, a total of three times.

k. Perform an ultraviolet erase according to manufacturer's recommendation.

l. Perform k above, but increase time by a factor of three.

m. Destroy - Disintegrate, incinerate, pulverize, shred, or melt.

n. Destruction required only if classified information is contained.

o. Run five pages of unclassified text (font test acceptable).

p. Ribbons must be destroyed. Platens must be cleaned.

q. Inspect and/or test screen surface for evidence of burned-in information. If present, the cathode ray tube must be destroyed.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
You learn something new each day. That is crazy that somehow stuff can be recovered that far back.
This is the goverment were talking about. Think about the technology we have and we think it's great, imagine what they have!

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
You learn something new each day. That is crazy that somehow stuff can be recovered that far back.
This is the goverment were talking about. Think about the technology we have and we think it's great' date=' imagine what they have![/quote']

We're probably ten years behind?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
This is the goverment were talking about. Think about the technology we have and we think it's great' date=' imagine what they have![/quote']

We're probably ten years behind?
In all honestly I would say that would be about exact.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Eraser (sometimes known as a government format tool)

Eraser is a secure data removal tool, which allows you to remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it with carefully selected patterns.

The program is free software, which means that everyone has access to the source code, the freedom to study it, make modifications, and even distribute modified versions of their own. This freedom has made Eraser one of the most trustworthy and popular security tools for Windows.

http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/