Ebay buyer claim ripoff!!

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Last month I sold a few good working parts off my old treadmills. Just a couple days ago, after a month, and the buyer coming back from vacation, said the package he got was empty but undamaged and only packing material in there. He opened a claim and said item not as described, and said he took pictures. He said the box was undamaged and did describe the shipping label with the correct weight of what it should have been.

I sent it usps parcel select, of course with NO insurance, but did have tracking confirmation, but as I read through other eBay forum topics, looks like I'm out of luck. This made me upset and feel cheated, especially after a month, while anything could have happened while the package sat there.

The buyer only has 18 feedback, but doesn't have any negative ones, and I don't think he would be scamming, it's just that now I have to not only refund the cost of the item of $40, but another $21 in shipping.

I really don't want to sell on eBay again, they have no protection, only extra expenses to add insurance on their part. What's sad, is in my case, seller protection is only for a item that never got there since I had tracking, but the buyer can still claim item was missing and win.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I could had told you this. Ebay don't bother with unless you are a buyer. As a seller you have no power anymore. What you described I see on forums all the time anymore. You can basically buy something, and say that you never received it and get your money back and still keep the item. There is a reason no one sells on Ebay anymore. I feel sorry for you. But this is the new type of scam. If you do decided to sell in the future online. Make sure to get insurance, and pay extra a for a signature conformation this way they can't lie and say they didn't receive the item. Sorry sir. :(

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I did some checking around with an eBay rep, national post office who then directed me to the local post office number. With the fact that the package arrived, but without a "heavy" item; since I weighed and printed the shipping label myself, I had to find an official weight record of the package somewhere during shipping. I was trying to prove there was a 16+ pound item in the box before arriving empty, but there was none even in the post office's system. So I was out of luck.

After discussing this over with the buyer, I asked him what he thought we be a fair resolution for the both of us. He said he would accept half and half of the total cost including shipping. I agreed and refunded $35 of the $66.

I learn lessons the hard way most of the time, and this will certainly keep me more cautious of handling these types of things. Make sure all package is secure, even the bottom which is already tapped (might be weak). Also, something I knew before, buy insurance no matter what the cost. One item lose of $20, $50, or even a $100, will negate savings on a couple dozen properly insured packages.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Glad to see you got it somewhat worked out. Let it be a lesson learned and make sure to protect yourself in the future.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Sorry to hear about this. I miss the better days of ebay but yeah not only is it a crappy service now because of hoe they don't care about sellers but so many people as well have just become overall not trustworthy. Now in this situation it may be an honest buyer but it makes me shake my head how an item can get lost. The box arrived but not the item? How does the USPS not notice something like that? Shipping companies just suck all around.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Just last week, I purchased a good quality new in box tap & die set (Irwin 117 piece).  It was at a good price (would have gotten elsewhere, but they are all out from the manufacture for now), and went with a seller who had 3 of them on eBay.  When I received it, it was the wrong item, the 25 piece set for larger diameter tap & dies.  I have no use for it as I won't work on those large of thread diameters, so obviously I put in a return for it.  The seller took a few days to respond, and just said to send it back. (eBay gives them a week to resolve it or else they step in and to the buyers advantage).  I asked the seller to give me a return shipping label, who responded with, "buyer pays return shipping".  I was shocked on how dumb some people are and actually think something like this that I would have to pay to send something back in their error .  It's heavy too, so I would be paying $20 or more.

I attached a photo with their packaging in the return case showing the wrong set they sent.   I'll just wait a couple more days until I can have eBay support handle it and force the seller to pay the shipping or refund me without sending it back in (really, I don't even want it, just want it sent back in for full refund).

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I stay away from eBay at all costs anymore. I think a lot of people do. It's just too shady anymore depending on what your buying.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
eBay is not my first choice, but I have found things on there that I couldn't else where and at a good price.  In my case this time, I'm pretty sure eBay will side with me since it's pretty obvious, but I wonder if people try to scam the seller and return something else in kind of a switch return?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I have a buddy that does a lot of Ebay selling - just in the past couple weeks he had a buyer make a claim that something wasn't as described.  I can't recall the details, but sounded very similar to @ryanator's original post here.  When he talked about it, I got the feeling it wasn't all that uncommon.  Basically the buyer just said such and such is wrong and how about you give me back X dollars to make it right.  Knowing my buddy pretty well, I know this buyer was full of $*#%.  Buddy gave the guy what he asked for though to keep his ratings up.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I have a buddy that does a lot of Ebay selling - just in the past couple weeks he had a buyer make a claim that something wasn't as described.  I can't recall the details, but sounded very similar to @ryanator's original post here.  When he talked about it, I got the feeling it wasn't all that uncommon.  Basically the buyer just said such and such is wrong and how about you give me back X dollars to make it right.  Knowing my buddy pretty well, I know this buyer was full of $*#%.  Buddy gave the guy what he asked for though to keep his ratings up.
This is the unfortunate thing that can happen to sellers on ebay now.  Since the buyer has more of the advantage, they can con the sellers.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Happened again, sold something, buyer waited 17 days and said there was a defect.  I had a 14 day return policy, but no, eBay's 30 day money back guarantee trumps that.  Plus buyer wants me to pay return shipping.   I understand buyer protection (I would want it), but there has to be something that protects the seller too.  In my case, I could add up a few things and it should favor me, but I think in the end eBay will always side with the buyer.  You can read tons of complaints about sellers hating eBay more and more.  

EBay is great for consumable cheaper products in my mind.  I love being able to buy dozens of Dremel accessories for dollars.