Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Eating more in the winter

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I have noticed that within the last couple of month I seem to want to eat a lot more. Basically I think it's your body going into hibernation. Has anyone else noticed this change lately or is it just me?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
My work doesn't help with this. We have a guy that brings a different food everyday here. He has never missed a day. He will bring donuts, chips, cookies, etc. Everyday is different and they are so tempting not to grab.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
This may likely be due to the colder temps and your body working harder to stay warm - leaves you feeling more hungry to a degree if you don't counteract it.

The same happens if you swim in water that is much below your body temp for very long.  Burn a few extra calories staying warm, even if you are actively working out, and leaves you feeling hungry.  They recommend swimmers do a short jog or other such activity post-swim to warm up to help reduce the urge to eat more than they normally would.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
My work doesn't help with this. We have a guy that brings a different food everyday here. He has never missed a day. He will bring donuts, chips, cookies, etc. Everyday is different and they are so tempting not to grab.
Hey, let's go next door!

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
There is a huge box of doughnuts sitting in the back at the moment. The struggle is real!

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I did pretty good on Thanksgiving, but overdid it on the two days afterwards.

jthock

Lumberjack
Members
I'm visiting my mom so every night it's a full 3 course meal and I have no means of getting exercise right now. I'll lose it immediately in the spring with my bicycle but I really gotta start having a plan for cardio in the winter. I'd rather spend my money on games than skiing / gym memberships. I like to get outdoors but I'm alone so it's like... hibernation like you said. Just waiting this one out

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Kinda on topic sort of, has anyone else noticed their salt intake going up? I mean I have been eating salted peanuts etc. a lot lately. I am sure that it's from it heating up outside and your body sweating more.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Man it's tough this time of year. I did strangely good at Thanksgiving though. But these long dark nights don't help with wanting to eat tons.

C Pav

Members
Why do you restrain yourself on Thanksgiving? How about eat good every normal day then enjoy the food on a holiday?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Why do you restrain yourself on Thanksgiving? How about eat good every normal day then enjoy the food on a holiday?
I didn't restrain myself. I was hungry and went over and planned on eating tons, I think my first mistake is I started eating tons of horderves. Then when my main plate came I could barley finish it. I couldn't even go back for seconds. I was ashamed of myself. I normally can do 2-3 plates.

C Pav

Members
I didn't restrain myself. I was hungry and went over and planned on eating tons, I think my first mistake is I started eating tons of horderves. Then when my main plate came I could barley finish it. I couldn't even go back for seconds. I was ashamed of myself. I normally can do 2-3 plates.
Ah, I see. Yeah I ate pretty good but sure can't eat as much as I used to before my disease. I always eat on holidays to the point of "why?".

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I think it's an age thing as well. I find myself the older and older I get eating smaller and smaller portions. I go into a fast food chain now and just order a single meat patty, back in my days with you I would get 6 meat patties.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
And wonder why your total at Arby's was near $30.
That is what made me quite eating there. That day my bill along was $20. I mean this is suppose to be cheap fast food. (probably didn't help that it was in peak oil and the fast food places were upping their own prices).

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
That is what made me quite eating there. That day my bill along was $20. I mean this is suppose to be cheap fast food. (probably didn't help that it was in peak oil and the fast food places were upping their own prices).
Fast food is rarely cheap food. Maybe if all you do is order off a dollar menu, but if you get the meal deals at most fast food places you'll spend as much or more as in a sit down restaurant to feed the same number of people.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya but when the oil was going on they were price gouging people in that town, I remember fast food restaurants with their own handwritten prices over the normal prices to charge more. I think it should be universal pricing no matter what Mcdonalds/Wendys your at.