Is the Earth really flat?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to admit it is interesting. Wouldn't it be easier with a model rocket though?

Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

Hughes’s ultimate goal is a subsequent launch that puts him miles above the Earth, where the 61-year-old limousine driver hopes to photograph proof of the disc we all live on.
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit it is interesting. Wouldn't it be easier with a model rocket though?
Source
Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him.. Yeah I'm going to go with that. He dead!

How on earth are people smart enough to research anything, build a rocket that might be able to fly, and still dumb enough to think they are going to prove the earth is flat?  I mean, we can see other planets and objects with a telescope - they aren't discs?  Why would the earth be so different?

How on earth are people smart enough to research anything, build a rocket that might be able to fly, and still dumb enough to think they are going to prove the earth is flat?  I mean, we can see other planets and objects with a telescope - they aren't discs?  Why would the earth be so different?
If a helicopter hovers in a fixed position for 24 hours will the earth rotate around it?

If a helicopter hovers in a fixed position for 24 hours will the earth rotate around it?
You mean if a helicopter were to sit in the exact same spot in space/time would the earth move under it?  Yes - however, that won't happen if a helicopter just "hovers in the same spot" because of gravitational pull.  Are you seriously implying the earth does not rotate?

Sounds like he ran into a little problem.

A California man who planned to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a homemade scrap-metal rocket — in an effort to "prove" that Earth is flat — said he is postponing the experiment after he couldn't get permission from a federal agency to do so on public land.Instead, Mike Hughes said the launch will take place sometime next week on private property, albeit still in Amboy, Calif., an unincorporated community in the Mojave Desert along historic Route 66.

"It's still happening. We're just moving it three miles down the road," Hughes told The Washington Post on Friday. "This is what happens any time you have to deal with any kind of government agency."
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he finally accomplished it.

He finally went up — just like the self-taught rocket scientist always pledged he would.He came back down in one piece, too — a little dinged up and his steam-powered vessel a little cracked up.

Still, mission accomplished for a guy more daredevil than engineer, who drew more comparisons to the cartoon character Wile E. Coyote from his critics than he did to iconic stunt man Evel Knievel.
Source

The article didn't really address what his findings were. I think they may be on to something.

The article didn't really address what his findings were. I think they may be on to something.
I was hoping he would had said something as well. I think he was suppose to take pics at the peak to see the curvature of the Earth.

D046C3FD-80FB-44F3-B9BE-BE6001E83CC7.jpeg

You post here to make fun of these people right?

You post here to make fun of these people right?
200.gif

Back