Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Earthquakes

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
It's amazing to see all the devastation that is caused by all these earthquakes lately. But I can't help thinking what happens when the big one hits? Take California for example. Scientist has been saying for along time that sooner or later there is going to be a huge one that will tear California off into the ocean? Can you even imagine this? I mean you can't even count that on the richter scale. Plus the tsunami that it will create will basically wipe out the west coast. Yet they keep building taller and taller buildings etc. I just wonder if the world is prepared for what is going to happen?

Last edited by a moderator:

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
It's amazing to see all the devastation that is caused by all these earthquakes lately. But I can't help thinking what happens when the big one hits? Take California for example. Scientist has been saying for along time that sooner or later there is going to be a huge one that will tear California off into the ocean? Can you even imagine this? I mean you can't even count that on the richter scale. Plus the tsunami that it will create will basically wipe out the west coast. Yet they keep building taller and taller buildings etc. I just wonder if the world is prepared for what is going to happen?
I just heard that within the next 30 years, there is a 99 percent chance that Southern California is going to get rocked.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Sounds like a bad time to be vacationing in Hawaii with the Tsunami warnings.

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
They don't use the Richter Scale to measure earthquakes anymore. They use a "magnitude" scale which has something to do with land area effected.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
They don't use the Richter Scale to measure earthquakes anymore. They use a "magnitude" scale which has something to do with land area effected.
It is actually the Richter Magnitude scale that they use. 8.8 I think Chile was.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Don't want to bump this old thread but there sure have been alot of earthquakes lately again.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I think your gonna see more and more coming up. I found this video interesting.
They did have a 4.8 quake recently, and am sure they have little ones on a regular basis. This video makes it sound like a big one is coming or it could be someone wanting to generate media. What's your take?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
We live pretty close to it back home. There has been alot of activity there lately. We would be wiped out back home since we are basically in the blast zone. We would be covered in ash as at least half of America would be. No airlines could fly. It kinda makes me wonder if the 2 recent earthquakes in LA are related to this. I also saw another earthquake just hit Chile again even after yesterdays earthquake this morning.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Something like this would have to set off earthquakes right?
Normal there are earthquakes before the start yes. The faults will start to spread making way for the lava.