AMD Ryzen cpu chips

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So we all know that Intel has had a stronghold on the market (for quite longer than normal this time around). Supposedly this chips is suppose to compete/beat Intel's chips, while doing it as a substantial less cost. I see a lot of big motherboard manufactures already releasing boards to support them, which is a good sign. Will they stand the test of time?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

We'll see.  The last time I can recall them having much traction or recognition was with the first AMD64's shipping in the early 2000's.

We'll see.  The last time I can recall them having much traction or recognition was with the first AMD64's shipping in the early 2000's.
Agreed they were on the top when they came out with their X2 series. Everybody ran them. After that they kinda went downhill.

Anyone build with one of these things?  Quite honestly I've not followed PC hardware enough to know much about them.  They supposed to stop the latest gen Intel i7 or i9?  For some reason I've considered building or upgrading a PC lately.  Probbaly won't, but last powerful  desktop build i did was when the AMD64's were first coming around in 2004. I've built one since then, but was intentionally a pretty minimal CPU / price rig just for media center capabilities.

I was waiting for them to drop in price and then try one out with an appropriate motherboard. From what I've read, they seem to be on par with Intel's offerings. 

I was waiting for them to drop in price and then try one out with an appropriate motherboard. From what I've read, they seem to be on par with Intel's offerings. 
Drop in price eh, aren't they already far cheaper than the Intel?  Or are they on par with similar price Intel, and INtel just has much higher tier options

Drop in price eh, aren't they already far cheaper than the Intel?  Or are they on par with similar price Intel, and INtel just has much higher tier options
I'm thinking 50 dollars type of cheap. 

I'm thinking 50 dollars type of cheap. 
Keep dreaming there, your looking at last gen AMD for that price I believe.

I dunno.  Not sure about these Ryzen's.  Fair competitor, but not sure what the hype is about.  Was looking at some benchmarks and price wise the Ryzens seem behind comparably priced Intel procs (mostly i'm looking at the X series - LSA 2066 socket i7's).  Even a number of the other more recent i7's with fewer cores outperform the top 1800X Ryzen from what I can see

If I were to build currently i'd lean toward an i7 7800X or 7820X.  The i9 7900X looks insane, but so is the price.  I would want to stick with the 2066 socket I think, but the 7700K looks like a solid pick as well.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Checkmarkz... I'm still pretty confused by Intel bein the devil...

It's a devil of sorts. The waterboy type of devil. 

They might be cool and a little cheaper, and as much as I love AMD, I would still be going Intel at the moment.

I feel the itch to build a new system. The 8core 16 threads Ryzen chips look good. But I am still sitting on an i7, and never even use it's full potential. I have the itch though. Ryzen is defiantly the way to go right now, best bang for the money.

Someone help me, I started looking a new cases and boards and cpus today! :eek:

Back