Would You Buy Time If You Could?

Time is always more important than money to me. I will always trade it. One thing we all have in common is our time is going to expire sooner or later. We all hope to get the most time out of our lives, but some fall shorter than others. This guy seems to be trying to talk about savings. But then again to get savings, you have to give up your time to get the money. Then since trying to get money causes stress you are actually losing time, so who is the real winner here?

No because time just flows. It is something that we can't add to magically. It's a test of ourselves in being able to best utilize the time we have. Some people just think too deeply. Maybe that didn't make sense or answer the question. What I mean is maybe we need to quit asking if we would buy time if we could but maybe ask how can we use the time we have better. Learn to enjoy the time we have.

This guy's goal is to retire at 40 and live off of stock dividends. He is extremely frugal in all other facets of life.

This guy's goal is to retire at 40 and live off of stock dividends. He is extremely frugal in all other facets of life.
In before @nodle says sounds like you @jmanz!

Possible? Yes. But in this day and age and the age we are coming into I would count on anything but hard commodities.

I figure between you and @jmanz you guys are holding about 25% of America's income. Cheap asses.
Well while @jmanz and myself stroll into McDonalds the day after we both retire at 40 you will be taking our order.

Well while @jmanz and myself stroll into McDonalds the day after we both retire at 40 you will be taking our order.
You are right, but a word of warning I wouldn't eat that food ;) Also when I get off work at McDonalds I am the guy walking out your back door from boning your wife because you had to work late to get that money. :whistle:

You are right, but a word of warning I wouldn't eat that food ;) Also when I get off work at McDonalds I am the guy walking out your back door from boning your wife because you had to work late to get that money. :whistle:
Touché!

I like this guys comment:

You never know when it’s your time. That’s why I operate on the assumption that I will not live to see old age. If I do, then that’s great. I just want to maximize my time and happiness while I’m alive.

I'll put it this way if you do make it to your deathbed, and that is the way you go out. All your possessions such as cars, money, homes etc. will mean nothing. You will only want to surround yourself with family and friends. Those are the true possessions that money cannot buy.

Wasn't there a movie that had something to do with a concept similar to buying time?

Anyway, I gotta wonder if this is one of the guys on extreme cheapskates that lives by picking fish carcasses out of a trash can. Most people work to 65 or later in life to build a portfolio big enough to last them through their last years. Not sure how someone that says they make $40k a year would get to a point of being able to retire for 25 extra years.

Beyond that, even if you do retire at that age, what are you going to do. You'll have less to live on and for a longer time. What's the point of retiring at 40 if you have to be so frugal you can't actually do anything...

@ndboarder has a point. Who wants to go though life not enjoying life? Not being able to go out to dinner with friends because it cost to much *cough @C Pav . Or penny pinching each thing. Then you hit 40 and your bored.

Well I don't think he picks trash but he did eat his share of Ramen noodles for a time to build his portfolio from 5k to 150k in 4 years on less than 50k salary. Granted he sold his car, eats cheap food and lives in a 500 dollar a month apt in Florida. No income tax in Florida. His main point is not to be a slave to work. He decided not to work for the man anymore past age 40. He does have blogging income and income from stock divs. He said he also might work part time down the road if he wants. The guy would rather have free time instead of going to work 40-50 hours a week and he's willing to not have material things in life in order to accomplish his goal. He has some interesting posts.

Here is the real question.... Is this guy single? Because we all know women will drain your money. ;)

Its definitely some interesting points and an awesome idea. I'm just not understanding what exactly you want all this free time for if you can't afford to do anything with it. There's only so many days you can sit idle and just do nothing. Other than working about anything you do is going to cost money...

Maybe a better way of saying this is, while he may not be a slave to work, he has traded it to being a slave to a budget. still not really free to just do whatever whenever....

Good points made in here. I would think a person's own habits lead themselves towards these goals. This guy for example, lives a simpler life and has decided to invest for an early retirement. To him, it doesn't take much dedication to do so since he already has that mindframe and financial habits. While to someone else, who likes to work hard and party hard, and buy all the latest and greatest, they live in the now and just keep going until they are in their late 60's or so.

What's wrong with living in the middle? I enjoy Taco Johns over Sakira . Why does that have to bother anyone? It's not about money there it's preference in "not so healthy" food. Why can't I moderately enjoy some latest technology? I will not give up games because they don't consume my life and they help with stress and I enjoy them. Face it, there are 2 sides of the extreme. Those that live too minimal and those that live too "YOLO". If they want to live like that then go ahead just don't put others down for their choices and decision unless it's having a negative effect on you, society or themselves.

Back